The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tall 7gal tank that I want to try and breed cherry shrimps in. Its been 2years and the last time I had over 200 in a period of 4months and could never get them to breed. Tank had draftwood moss 501 can filter no heater Eco-Complete 2years old now light 24watt 5k cf.
Ph 8.4
kh-5-6
gh 21
temp 78
Does eco complete go bad after 2 years? And is the ph and gh to high for cherry's to breed in.

·
Registered
685 Posts
the PH and GH are fairly high, also the temp may be a bit high too. As for the eco complete I am unsure of, I did have that substrate when I first started and had success with cherry shrimp but never had it long enough to tell you whether it goes bad or not.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I took out the eco complete and added flourite to match my big tank next to it. So has any1 had any luck with breeding cherrys in ph that high with kh and gh that high to? Should I just hook up my paintball co2 system to the tank just to make the ph drop down right now i have some moss and some rotala sp singapore.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
My tank used to be just about those parameters and the cherries bred like none other. I found that water quality was very important, i lost my entire colony when i didn't change the water for a month. I could never get crystals to work in that type of water, but cherries loved it!

·
Registered
143 Posts
How did u get 200 rcs without any breeding?
I would ditto the water quality idea. Very hard water here and I'm just now getting berries after doing 3 big WCs in 10 days. I've had 20 or so for over 6 months.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know what it is I had a 10gal with around 80+ and a 7gal with around 50 in 3 months never seen any new baby shrimps I would see the shrimp eatting the dead ones. Then after there was only a few left I tryed again and got more no luck 2 years later i still only have 1 male cherry left out of all them lol. Should i just use RO water also should i treat it with novaqua water conditioner?

·
Registered
39 Posts
My RCS breed like CRAZY.

Here's their tanks specs.

PH 6.0 - 6.5
Temp 74' F
GH 60
KH 70

Substrate: Ada Aquasoil
Lots of Java Moss.

My water is HARD, But it I still get lots of babies!

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.