The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Maybe once again a missing something but he rinsed the mechanical filtration... ? Or do those things not have room for like bio balls, rings etc...? Not familiar with eheims

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
There's a ton of biomedia that was under the fine pad that he took out 2nd. Also looks like some kind of Britta-like device on the faucet which he might think is removing the chlorine as he's using it...

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Yea but he he didn't rinse any of the bio media then, just the pad, what little bit of water dechlorinated or not would be on the pad wouldn't destroy the bacteria not to mention as soon as it's kicked on it would flush it all through

·
Registered
138 Posts
This thread is a prime example of why I don't rely upon or trust any internet advice, this forum included. Snark and invective are not proof you are right, they are simply proof that you want others to agree with you. This has nothing to do with equipment, it is a pretty lazy op/ed that should go under general discussion.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Ecco's, I have a classic. Did he shut the valves first, then unplug it?! And then partially open the lid when it was hooked up and running?!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Am I missing something? I don't really see anything wrong. The foam pads were rinsed in tap water but the bio media was untouched.

Seems like a nice reference video on how to maintain the filter, but not necessarily THE definitive guide.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This thread is a prime example of why I don't rely upon or trust any internet advice, this forum included. Snark and invective are not proof you are right, they are simply proof that you want others to agree with you. This has nothing to do with equipment, it is a pretty lazy op/ed that should go under general discussion.
What?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Has anyone ever done a test using regular tap water to wash off some biomedia and tested to see that 100% of your bacteria were killed off? Probably not.

Is chlorine bad, yes? Will it kill your entire filter rinsing it off in tap water? That part is probably more debatable.

When I kept turtles, I know a turtle keeper who had a big stock metal tube and 3 Rena filters just filled with sponges and pads. A few times a year he would break it down and hose it all down, having a snapping turtle in it, they get messy and never had a problem with cycles, spikes, etc. He posted an interesting article about actually showing the resistance of the bacteria that grows in our tanks and filters, I will try and find it again.

I know we are under the need "dechlor in our tap water" or it will kill your entire filter sort of idea, but I'm not sure how much it has been proven or just something that's better to dechlorinate for the sake of the fish but really doesn't affect our biofiltration to a huge extent, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
This thread reads like one post to many :icon_roll

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, so I've let this cook a while just to see what you all think of when you clean your filter. I've been in several discussions about how to do it and this one U-tube brings it all down to what I feel is a big problem with canister filters.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of users assume they know how and they ---

NEVER READ the directions!

Just think what a dull place a forum would be if users read the directions and avoided having trouble with their canisters!

My point is that one should read the directions before going to U-tube. The guy that built it likely knows what it takes to make it work well and last as long as possible. The U-tube may not.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Okay, so I've let this cook a while just to see what you all think of when you clean your filter. I've been in several discussions about how to do it and this one U-tube brings it all down to what I feel is a big problem with canister filters.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of users assume they know how and they ---

NEVER READ the directions!

Just think what a dull place a forum would be if users read the directions and avoided having trouble with their canisters!

My point is that one should read the directions before going to U-tube. The guy that built it likely knows what it takes to make it work well and last as long as possible. The U-tube may not.
Huh...?

So the guy on youtube did what wrong?

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, rather than look at this from the position of experienced users who pretty much know what we need, let's look at this from the position of a new guy who really wants to know how to clean and maintain his canister filter.

Does this U-tube tell a new guy what he needs to know or does it just lead him into making mistakes and thinking he knows what is needed?

Several have mentioned chlorine in the tap water. We all pretty much agree that it may not be best but is no big thing? Maybe telling the new guy not to unnecessarily wipe out bacteria with chlorine would help? Small suggestion to use tank or dechlor water?

So the new guy goes along thinking this is all he needs to do? At least one of you good folks said this is exactly what you've been doing for thirty years!

I'm betting there are a couple other things you may have been doing in the last few years that are not mentioned in the video. .
Any body see some things left out that may ruin the new guy's day if he misses them?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Okay, rather than look at this from the position of experienced users who pretty much know what we need, let's look at this from the position of a new guy who really wants to know how to clean and maintain his canister filter.

Does this U-tube tell a new guy what he needs to know or does it just lead him into making mistakes and thinking he knows what is needed?

Several have mentioned chlorine in the tap water. We all pretty much agree that it may not be best but is no big thing? Maybe telling the new guy not to unnecessarily wipe out bacteria with chlorine would help? Small suggestion to use tank or dechlor water?

So the new guy goes along thinking this is all he needs to do? At least one of you good folks said this is exactly what you've been doing for thirty years!

I'm betting there are a couple other things you may have been doing in the last few years that are not mentioned in the video. .
Any body see some things left out that may ruin the new guy's day if he misses them?
Ah, ok. That does make more sense.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
ok, so, according to you, i have been cleaning my canisters wrong for 30 years and all my fish should have died many times over? please, if you don't mind, enlighten me on how exactly i should be cleaning my filters? guess those reef tanks i had back in the 90's survived out of luck :)

first off, he never stated that it was an instructional video on how to clean your filter, it was just a vid of someone cleaning their filter. second, brita reduces greatly the amount of chlorine in the water, i know many people who breed frogs that use that exact same faucet filter with no problems. third, you are assuming that he has chlorine in his water, not everybody does.

in one post you stated something about reading directions and in another, you are talking about chlorine. so i am still quite confused over what exactly your issue is with this YOU-tube video. and quite frankly, if you were someone who was going onto you-tube to find out how to clean your canister, you're probably a lost cause anyway....lol i do not mean you specifically, so no need to get testy. :)

and i agree, to an extent, a previous post about info found on the web as well as this forum. i never see forums as the definitive "guide" to anything. i believe that on forums, such as this one, you garner many sources of insight and information and then make your own educated decisions. but i also realize that some people do not see it that way.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, Bill! Your fish are likely to be fine. But I want to point out that you are wrong in a number of ways. One is that you are likely not doing your filters as this vid shows. Or maybe it's possible that you just dump a lot of money out when they stop working.

If you don't ever rinse the bio- media, I'm guessing flow will cut down to pretty low. If you don't clean the impeller the flow WILL stop! You do clean your impeller once in while, don't you?

Why would I be looking at vids of how to do it? There are lots of requests from new folks asking how it should be done. I wanted to find a good one to refer them to when they ask.

I posted this as an example of what is NOT done right.

Now can all you folks come down just a few notches and tell me if you DO think the media all needs to be rinsed at times and if the impeller ought to be checked while the can is open?

All information should be checked for accuracy. One start on that is reading the instructions. In this case the instructions do tell us to clean the impeller.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I never use tank water to rinse, I use my well water straight from my faucet. Just make sure to match the temp and never had any issues...

Only thing I didn't agree with was he unplugged the filter AFTER he closed both valves. Other than that, if he has well water and doesn't use chemicals nor salt to filter, it's totally safe and acceptable to do it like that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts