The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking every where for one! online, big chain, even LFS no one has or they want $30 to $40 for shipping alone when the fish cost less then $5. So if any one has a TRUE SAE for sale "smaller is preferable/wanted" for cheap with cheap shipping let me know please! send a DM with pictures just so I can make sure its a real SAE

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Plenty of Cali people here, should be able to point you in the right direction to find some.
Really easy to find true SAE (though not always correctly ID'd) in my area at pretty much any fish store (even big chain).

Wet Spot Tropical Fish usually has them (they correctly ID). Seems they don't right now, but might get them in next Friday. They do have Fish Net Flying Fox ($5, bottom of the CYPRINIFORMES section) aka Reticulated Flying Fox (Crossocheilus reticulatus, same genus as true SAE, just a relative species. Not a "Flying Fox" genus like the common name says) though.

I've got those and they are just as good algae eaters, if not better. Mine are 5 inches and still eat hair algae and BBA quick. They still hang out in their group and show no aggression toward any other fish (I have even 1/2" fish with them). So I would say they remain eating algae (I don't need to starve them either to get them to eat algae. They can eat fish food too.) and don't get aggressive when they get bigger/older like I've heard others say their SAE's get.

http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/index.php/fish

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plenty of Cali people here, should be able to point you in the right direction to find some.
Really easy to find true SAE (though not always correctly ID'd) in my area at pretty much any fish store (even big chain).

Wet Spot Tropical Fish usually has them (they correctly ID). Seems they don't right now, but might get them in next Friday. They do have Fish Net Flying Fox ($5, bottom of the CYPRINIFORMES section) aka Reticulated Flying Fox (Crossocheilus reticulatus, same genus as true SAE, just a relative species. Not a "Flying Fox" genus like the common name says) though.

I've got those and they are just as good algae eaters, if not better. Mine are 5 inches and still eat hair algae and BBA quick. They still hang out in their group and show no aggression toward any other fish (I have even 1/2" fish with them). So I would say they remain eating algae (I don't need to starve them either to get them to eat algae. They can eat fish food too.) and don't get aggressive when they get bigger/older like I've heard others say their SAE's get.

Fish

I feel super bad that you wrote all this...I got it wrong I was looking for silver flying foxes...I got the two mixed it even though they look different..but my LFS got them in this morning so I picked one up right now...so sorry again for you taking all this time to write find and to try and help me..

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I feel super bad that you wrote all this...I got it wrong I was looking for silver flying foxes...I got the two mixed it even though they look different..but my LFS got them in this morning so I picked one up right now...so sorry again for you taking all this time to write find and to try and help me..
No problem.
Wet Spot does have Flying Foxes too (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus). Just below the fish that I mentioned above.
$5 each and WetSpot has healthy fish.

Not sure if Silver Flying Foxes are the same as the fish I mentioned above (Crossocheilus reticulatus). A google seach for "silver flying fox" brings up the fish I mentioned. Common name confusion :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts