The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there are plants that turn red under low nitrogen situations. im curious what plants are true red weeds under normal lighting and fertilizers. i dont have high light anymore. it doesn't help unless the plants get close to the light.. and now its still the same.. lower lighting and plants still get red close to the light leads me to believe its a reaction to too much light

i would like to know what plants become red under normal conditions.. normal being low to medium lighting 30+ ppm c02. EI dosing of ferts.
thanks to those who respond!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Red Aquarium Plants

Hello H D...

Check your plant books. If you don't have one, they're pretty inexpensive. Mine shows a Barclaya longifolia "Red" as a good example. Another that's not quite as red is Alternanthera reineckii and Limnophila aromatica. Didn't go through my entire book, but these look red in the pictures.

Hope this helps.

B

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Barclaya longifolia "Red" B
+1 to the Barclaya longifolia! It's a great plant

Here is a picture of mine. ( It's under 216 watts of T5Ho now, however before I got it it was under a desklamp, and it was just as red)

It was actually brighter red when I got it, which leads me to believe that it is more red under low light conditions.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahh good.. i guess i need to pick up some plant books!!!!!!!!!!!! i've noted a few post of plantbrain saying that the can grow most weeds red. but we all know he has a magical green aquatic thumb

·
Registered
188 Posts
My Alternanthera reineckii can be reddish brown to very red.

It is a nice contrast to a green tank.

I have a Fluval Edge and Ebi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts