The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! If you all have any suggestions for me about my tank I would appreciate it SO much!

I started a walstad tank, but my tank has a built in filter. I basically taped the filter opening shut so my shrimp babies don't get in there.

There are currently no fish.

I put an inch(ish) of miracle grow potting soil, then 1/2 inch of sand.

My driftwood floats, it's from an aquarium store. How do I fix that?

My water is cloudy. I only planted this tank today, so it should clear up, right? How long will that take?

The plants in the tank are dwarf can-something....I threw the package away. It looks like grass. I have two anubias, one from petsmart and one from an established tank.

The lighting came with the tank, it's a row of LED lights. I will probably get a different light.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It looks to me like the sand cap was disturbed when you filled the aquarium with water. This is the main reason why the water is cloudy. I find it better when using soild to have a cap of at least one inch. It helps keep the rich sediment from water thus keeping the level of ammonia and other nutrients to somewhat limited levels in the water. Of course I and others had aquariums where the soil was exposed to the water, but this is a messy, non standard way of doing things, just saying it can be done. I would say change 50% every day for the first week or so.

The wood needs to be waterlogged first. You can tie it or somehow attach it to a stone or a heavier decoration or piece of equipment. How long it takes for the wood to stay underwater by itself depends on the size and type. I would say around 2wks.

Looks good. If that is an Echinodorus on the left it will outgrow the aquarium rather fast. I suggest increasing the plant mass and plant diversity and make a priority in getting floating plants. They do marvels in the first stages.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.