The Planted Tank Forum banner

Trouble with my java fern.

5861 Views 43 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  blueberry
I got some java ferns a few months ago, plants came as separate leaves wraped together in a lead weight. so i plucked the plantlets off the leaves and planted them in the gravel with the only the roots in the gravel. well they aren’t growing very well.. the leaves are all curved down and inwards, in a spiral shape, brownish, or have the edges curved inwards. I started dosing some sera florena but my cherry shrimp don’t seem to like it..
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so... what do I do about by ferns? i don't think i can keep dosing my ferts, because my cherrie shrimp refused to come out after dosing until i put some activated carbon in the tank to take the ferts out..

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
yes the rhizomes are all above the gravel line, no Im not familiar with any aquatic plants

i just have 9 watt florescent (its kinda old), 5 gallon tank

and i just have normal blue coloured aquarium gravel

edit: and i have like 12 ferns in there

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im dosing about 12 drops of the stuff, that’s about 1.2 ml

its sera florena, and it says no nitrate or phosphorus contained in it

i think its just trace elements

I'v only dosed for a day or 2 though, but my shrimp all went into hiding after i dosed it

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
oh, sorry for the confusion. it wasn't one leaf per rhizome, mostly it was just leaves with no rhizome, all the leaves had plenty of plant-lets on them, so I plucked just plucked the plant-lets off and planted them. they have been there for 4 months. it is still sprouting plenty of new leaves but they all grow and curl inwards and turn brownish after awhile. I bought it from my lfs, its called M&J aquarium if you happen to know it.

the bioload of my tank is very little. just 5 cherry shrimp and the other random bugs that grow(cyclops and stuff). i also have tons of algae but the algae isn't particularly green either.. i see plenty of poop floating around though

do you think putting some fish food in is enough for phosposus

i will try to take a pic tomorrow, because my tank light is off right now

i will also try to find a replacement bulb for my tank,
it is a U shaped one

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
oh, no, no, i already threw the leaves out, I just have the plantlets now,

the plantlets are growing fast, just not well..

i tried diy co2 a while ago, the plants did pearl, but i don't think it made the plant grow better.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
yeah... but....

yeah, but all the other shrimps turned a shade lighter, became less active and the one that droped the eggs had like practically no colour, like a ghost shrimp but not as transparent..:(

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
ok, i just did some research, and found that things like potassium and nitrates, are needed in the range of 10-20 ppm

and the other nutriunts such as iron, are needed in a concentration of about 0.02 ppm

so, i did a quick calculation, and found that a tiny drop of my fert(assumed to be about 0.1ml) would provide an iron concentration of about 0.04 ppm

and the other nutrents would be in concentrations of aboout 100-1000 times less.

so, why does the bottle say that i have to dose 5ml of the stuff for 5 g

my calculations:

ferric chloride= 0.89%

0.1mg of water * 0.89%= 0.00089 grams of ferric chloride

when added to 5 g tank.

ratio of water to ferric chloride is: 20000mg of water : 0.00089 grams of ferric chloride

1 million / 20000= 50

50 * 0.00089
= about 0.04 ppm

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
ok, ill try to do some diy co2,
[STRIKE]
and for the lighting,
do you think leds would be good?

im thinking of some white ones + some red and blue ones[/STRIKE]

EDIT: ok, leds are a really bad idea... much, much too expnisive for something that will actuually light the aqarium..

i dont think i can upgrade the watt of my flouresent though..

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
still, though,.. im not worryed about it growing slowly. its just that the leaves are growing really weird. i even hava few leaves that grow in the this weird crumpled shape, and is coloured like iceberg lettece. and practically all the other leaves are curved

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.