The Planted Tank Forum banner

Trouble with my java fern.

5824 43
I got some java ferns a few months ago, plants came as separate leaves wraped together in a lead weight. so i plucked the plantlets off the leaves and planted them in the gravel with the only the roots in the gravel. well they aren’t growing very well.. the leaves are all curved down and inwards, in a spiral shape, brownish, or have the edges curved inwards. I started dosing some sera florena but my cherry shrimp don’t seem to like it..
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,356 Posts
As long as the rhizome is out of the substrate, it's should do fine. My java fern's roots get really long and when I pull the plant out, its attached to small chunks of dw, the root has adhered to a lot of sand; as if it was rooting itself.

· Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm not a fan of unnatural coloured substrates, but it doesn't matter for the java fern. I use tahitian moon sand, no nutrients what so ever. From what I've read and what I experienced, JF doesn't take in nutrients from the roots; if they do, then it would be very minimal. I cut all the roots of my JF before I tie them to rocks/dw. They still do great.

What are you dosing? How much?

· Registered
1,356 Posts
Just because your shrimps dropped the egg, it doesn't mean that it was due to the ferts. Alot of members here dose fertilizers and their shrimps are top notch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.