The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eheim filter has developed a problem with reduced, almost non existent, flow. I've cleaned the filter media, checked for obstructions in the filter tubes, checked that the impeller and/or shaft aren't broken or blocked, and that the filter head seal is tight. Filter isn't any louder than normal. Not really sure what could be going on.

·
Registered
20g aquarium with beginner plants and fish.
89 Posts
My eheim filter has developed a problem with reduced, almost non existent, flow. I've cleaned the filter media, checked for obstructions in the filter tubes, checked that the impeller and/or shaft aren't broken or blocked, and that the filter head seal is tight. Filter isn't any louder than normal. Not really sure what could be going on.
Not sure, how long have you had the filter? Pumps usually get weaker over time.

·
Super Moderator
17,131 Posts
Eheim pumps don't really get weaker over time. They get dirty and need to be cleaned when flow slows but that's about it. Though, they can fail. Air pumps are the only type that usually get weaker over time.

Are your sponges clean? Have you taken the impeller apart? Intakes clean? Have the hoses been cleaned and not just inspected?

How far below the tank is the filter? How far does it have to push water to return?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Do you have the Eheim Pro 4e+ 350 filter? If so, do a search of the Eheim 2274 as that was its prior number designation.

I'm not sure if @Immortal1 has the same model but he/she may be able to help troubleshoot it.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eheim pumps don't really get weaker over time. They get dirty and need to be cleaned when flow slows but that's about it. Though, they can fail. Air pumps are the only type that usually get weaker over time.

Are your sponges clean? Have you taken the impeller apart? Intakes clean? Have the hoses been cleaned and not just inspected?

How far below the tank is the filter? How far does it have to push water to return?
Sponges are definitely clean, I did take the impeller apart and everything looks intact and not broken\cracked. Didn't clean the hoses as there were no blockages when I inspected them. Tank is maybe 3-4 feet below the top of the tank; its been set up this way for 2 years now with no prior issues.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Do you have the Eheim Pro 4e+ 350 filter? If so, do a search of the Eheim 2274 as that was its prior number designation.

I'm not sure if @Immortal1 has the same model but he/she may be able to help troubleshoot it.
Dee, yes I have 2 of the Eheim Pro 4, Model 350 filters. (he :) )
@aubie98 it would be worth trying an impeller replacement. Not saying that is the problem - but it seems you have looked at all of the obvious issues.
Some users on here have had much improved results with a new impeller - but if I remember right those filters were more like 5 years old +
Would seem odd you 2 year old unit would have issues. One of my 2 is atleast 2 years old and runs just fine.

Reactions: deeda

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dee, yes I have 2 of the Eheim Pro 4, Model 350 filters. (he :) )
@aubie98 it would be worth trying an impeller replacement. Not saying that is the problem - but it seems you have looked at all of the obvious issues.
Some users on here have had much improved results with a new impeller - but if I remember right those filters were more like 5 years old +
Would seem odd you 2 year old unit would have issues. One of my 2 is atleast 2 years old and runs just fine.
Did some sleuthing this morning. Took out all the media and the filter ran like a champ. Cleaned all of the hardware and put media back in - filter bogged down again. Took out the fine mesh eheim filter pad and filter ran great again. So, the hardware is "fine", it was fine mesh pad that was the culprit. I had been running this filter with a purigen pad and no fine mesh until a few months ago. I thought that I had really rung out the eheim mesh when i cleaned the filter, but it was quite dirty again this morning.

Not sure why this filter is having trouble with the media and not the other identical filter that is running on the same tank with the same media set up (and has been using the eheim fine mesh since it was set up). Ended up putting some regular blue/white filter floss in the offending filter and its running at full capacity as we speak. Will keep an eye on it to see if the flow decreases over the course of the week.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Did some sleuthing this morning. Took out all the media and the filter ran like a champ. Cleaned all of the hardware and put media back in - filter bogged down again. Took out the fine mesh eheim filter pad and filter ran great again. So, the hardware is "fine", it was fine mesh pad that was the culprit. I had been running this filter with a purigen pad and no fine mesh until a few months ago. I thought that I had really rung out the eheim mesh when i cleaned the filter, but it was quite dirty again this morning.

Not sure why this filter is having trouble with the media and not the other identical filter that is running on the same tank with the same media set up (and has been using the eheim fine mesh since it was set up). Ended up putting some regular blue/white filter floss in the offending filter and its running at full capacity as we speak. Will keep an eye on it to see if the flow decreases over the course of the week.
Great to hear you figured it out. Seemed odd to me the impeller would have an issue after only 2 years.
Just an FYI - something I learned a few years ago. Fabric stores carry a product called NuFoam - normally used for outdoor chair cushions. I generally get it in 1" thickness. Makes a great filter floss for our filters (fine mesh eheim filter pad). Yes you have to store the roll somewhere and yes you have to cut it to size with good scissors. But, it is cheaper than the pre-cut stuff. On my FX-4 filter connected to my 75g rainbow tank - I change out the NuFoam filter every week. On the eheim filters, every 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: aubie98

·
Registered
171 Posts
In my experience with canisters the culprit of poor flow has been A) polishing pads (very fine pore filter floss) and B) not realizing the outflow needs to be at or above water level. Since I remedied those 2 factors my clog/slowdown issues have disappeared.
Never yet had a bad impeller, altho I have lost the little O rings that stabilize the impeller :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.