The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure this out for my 29 Gallon tank. Currently using a Hygger 48W LED but I'm not sure if it's strong enough. I run it 10 hours a day. No par meter so I cant check values

https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Exte...621793&sr=8-15

Does anyone have any thoughts? My HC are not growing very well.

The one on the left and top are about 3 weeks old and the one on the right is newly planted

Not sure if this is a nutrient problem or a lighting issue.

Bump: Forgot to add, I have CO2 running in the tank

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm trying to figure this out for my 29 Gallon tank. Currently using a Hygger 48W LED but I'm not sure if it's strong enough. I run it 10 hours a day. No par meter so I cant check values

https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Exte...621793&sr=8-15

Does anyone have any thoughts? My HC are not growing very well.

The one on the left and top are about 3 weeks old and the one on the right is newly planted

Not sure if this is a nutrient problem or a lighting issue.

Bump: Forgot to add, I have CO2 running in the tank
Your link to your LED is broken. 48W for a recent LED sounds like enough power in a 29G. If it is a "plant light" it should be sufficient. If it is a light for just lighting an aquarium then you may want to look at that. Especially with LEDs, wavelength is everything for the grow lights.

I have been running a new 50G for 10 days. It's 20 inches high with a Fluval 3.0 LED at 46W and it seems to be plenty as everything is growing. In the past 10 days I've tried 2 different dwarf tears tissue cultures from three different vendors and all melted within a day or two. Only one of the cultures looked good right out of the cup. The potted and "bunched" dwarf baby tears I've gotten, which are taller (2-3" planted in my tank) have done spectacular, gotten much green and growing strong. They appear to be essentially mini little stem plants so I think to carpet I just cut and plant the trimmings. My CO2 has fluctuated quite a bit and been on the lighter side which does not seem to have affected the plants.

I would look at nutrients too. Are you feeding them? I don't think they would get enough from the substrate right off the bat. Yellowing/browning is a sign of deficiency, most often nitrogen.

it's a co2 issue. check out dennis wong's article here. follow the link to optimize co2.
Great article! I second his caution on the tissue culture, I think the dwarf baby tears HC in a tissue culture format is a bad product, it's too delicate or something, does not package and keep well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah it is a CO2 issue! I should have realized it sooner. I think my inline CO2 diffuser is fine but my water outlet it bad. The glass lily pipe I'm using just lets all the CO2 bubbles rise to the surface too quickly

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ah it is a CO2 issue! I should have realized it sooner. I think my inline CO2 diffuser is fine but my water outlet it bad. The glass lily pipe I'm using just lets all the CO2 bubbles rise to the surface too quickly
sounds like you need to increase circulation so that co2 mist can travel to the far end of the tank and back again. position your lily pipe to just below the surface (you should see a whirlpool forming). it will give you good surface agitation. i suggest in investing in a pH pen. this will help you nail down your co2. dennis explains it all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.