The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just involed in a transaction which didn't work out (reason as of yet unknown) but the seller shipped the plants and they never arrived, most likely some water leaked out and the USPS took it.

That brought up some thoughts which I PM'ed to the seller but then thought I should post them here to see other ppls stories and solutions becuase "I had this happen one time to me as well, actually twice kinda.

1st time I had no idea, I wrapped the roots up in wet paper towel and put them on a ziplock, but I thought i should seal the ziplock and they were only going like 60 miles away. I put them in a box but I guess the water leaked out. The box was never delivered and I had to give the person back there money.

The 2nd time i packaged them up the same way but sealed the ziplock, however when I went to the post office they only had those hard envelopes, so I thought they would be ok and shipped them, I was wrong becuase after a cross country trip they were smashed to bits, and I again had to give the money back.

Best way I have sent or recived plants - wrap wet paper towel around each root. Then wrap wet news paper (becuase it is srtonger then paper towel) around the whole plant (you can do this in bunches of like plants) then put them in a ziplock gallon bag and put a little water. Try to close the bag fairly tight on the plants so they stay wet. use news paper on best yet ballons (the kind you make aninals out of)
and put them at the bottom and on the sides, useing a Priority mail free box (2 sizes available) it cost 4.05 for shipping to anywhere in the US and usually arrives within 3 days." (" from my PM)

So has anyone else had a experence like this, or can offer a better way of shipping?:fish:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
my way is pretty simple, zip lock bag spray some water and put the plants in and seal it,, shipping without paper seems alot more easier and less messy for the person who receives it ........ they look mushed when stuck in between newspaper

put in a box and ship
put some newspaper around the inside of the box and your good to do

·
Registered
464 Posts
my way is pretty simple, zip lock bag spray some water and put the plants in and seal it,, shipping without paper seems alot more easier and less messy for the person who receives it ........ they look mushed when stuck in between newspaper

put in a box and ship
put some newspaper around the inside of the box and your good to do
Agreed. In fact, most newspaper wrapped plants I have recieved were in very poor condition upon arrival. The best plants are simply put in a ziploc with enough water to keep them moist, then the air is pushed out and the baggie is closed.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
The way I have been sending plants is with the plants lightly wrapped in a papertowel that has been wetted and wrung out as much as I can. Then put that into a ziplock, seal the ziplock and then tape it just in case. I only use the priorty mail boxes you can get free from the post office (if you go online to usps.gov they will even mail you 25 or more of them for free, not even shipping).

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
oblongshrimp has it right.
I use those Blue Scott Shop Towels
I lay them down flat & wet using tank water.
I place the plants inside, fold the towel over it,
while a square I slip it into a zip lock bag, then
I press most of the extra water out of the bag,
seal it, fold over the flap, tape it, then
wrap that in a disposable shopping bag
then I fold a square of bubble wrap over the baggie
insert the whole thing into a free Priority box,
I like the ones the size of a VHS tape because
they fit in any mail box or door mail slot so there
is no risk the mail man will leave you a pick up notice.
then I take a brown paper shopping bag, cut it up
to gift wrap the priority box to hide it's markings.
then I slap 4 first class stamps on the brown paper,
I print a label cut&paste from the address PM'ed me
so there is no risk of me copying the information wrong,
and drop the whole mess in my local USPS mail box.
I minimize size & weight and maximize plant condition.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as far as the newspaper thing I think it depends actual on the type of plant, stems which are fragle can get damaged (i.e Limnophila aromatica) but plants like vals I think benifit from it a great deal

Thw ballon thing is the best to protect during shipping

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm terrible, but I'm told the plants arrive well. I toss everything into a large ziplock with a small piece of damp paper towel. I breath into the bag and seal it blown up (enough so that it just fits into priority mail box) > I ship aromatica and a tonina belem , micranthum umbrosium on a regular basis and folks say things arrive in good shape.
it probably helps that I give away my scraps for postage most times -- i've just never gotten in the habit of selling... so maybe people are more tolerant :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts