The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had small clusters of DHG planted in my 10g tank for at least of month and I've only noticed negative progress. Many of the leaves turned pale and disintegrated. However, there are still small clusters remaining in the substrate, but there has been little to no progress in terms of growth (let alone carpeting).

TANK INFO:
-Substrate = ecocomplete planted substrate
-Lighting = 2x 24 watts 6500k t5 (suspended 6 inches above tank)
-C02 = DIY setup (microfilter used for dispersion)
-Ferts = Weekly dose of flourish, flourish nitrogen, flourish phosphorus, & flourish potassium (The LFS told me i may be lacking in N, P, or K)
-Water parameters = ph[7.0], ammonia[0-0.2ppm]
-Livestock = 1 dwarf gourami, 4 cardinal tetras, 1 nerite snail

All the other plants are doing really well and hardly shade any of the DHG so what the heck is the problem???? :(

Attached is a photo of the tank in question. Any feedback/info is much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,827 Posts
That actually looks like quite a bit of lighting not to have more CO2 and a better fertilizer scheme.

Hair Grass is a heavy root feeder, so adding root tabs would help quite a bit. And getting pressurized CO2 will definitely help.

Have you considered buying dry ferts so you can mix them yourself and save money?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The photo doesn't do the tank justice. The light appears to be brighter than it is. However, if you were referring to the actual wattage, the fixture is suspended with 2 bulbs on separate switches so i could adjust it in a number of ways if the light is too intense. I'll definately pick up some root tabs tomorrow and look into the dry fert idea!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
bump. I buried some plant tabs in the substrate but I would appreciate some more input/advice. Thanks!

As a side note: some of the leaves on the vallisneria appear reddish and the sword's leaves are a bit twisted/wrinkled

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
And the old growth needs to die and new growth replace it before it can start filling in. If you check the horrible photos of my 8 foot tank you can see how bad it can get before it gets better. That was even aquatic growth that died back, aerial growth will always do that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts