The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tropica has two new (at least to me) ferts on the market?

Plant Growth "Specialized" Fertiliser & Plant Growth "Premium" Fertiliser. Specialized contains nitrogen and phosphorus while premium doesn't. Specialized is meant for tanks with lots of plants and few fish and premium is meant for tanks with lots of fish and fewer plants...

My question is which one do you chose for tanks with both a high number of fish and a dense amount of plants? Tropica in all it's wisdom isn't catering to my middle ground so I'm kinda confused as to which to chose. Also, I am unable to find the "composition" of both products. They publicize the N&P but as to what else each contains, so far I can't find that info :icon_frow

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Ferts *are* for plants. The more fish you have the more ferts you need, within reason. I use Seachem Florish Comprehensive, which is a micronutrient. With lots of plants you need to follow the directions + a little more, but not too much. Watch how the plants are growing as an indicator of whether to reduce the dose. You can start with a little less and add more as there is more bioload.

·
Registered
690 Posts
This should get you pointed in the right direction and save yourself a bit of change.

Save your money by doing something similar to this.

I would do things a bit differently like using distilled water and adding either excel or hydrochloric acid to the trace mix only (because of the chelators in it) but that's just me.

You may also want to read this. It will clear up some things for you.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and happy planting :smile:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Via email

Premium
K 0.80%, Mg 0,39%, S 0.91%, B 0.004%, Cu 0.006%, Fe 0.07%,
Mn 0.04%, Mo 0.002%, Zn 0.002%.
HEEDTA, DTPA, E123.

Specialized
N 1.34%, P 0.10%, K 1.03%, Mg 0,39%, S 0.91%, B 0.004%,
Cu 0.006%, Fe 0.07%, Mn 0.04%, Mo 0.002%, Zn 0.002%.
HEEDTA, DTPA, E123.

What say you?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Tropica has two new (at least to me) ferts on the market?

Plant Growth "Specialized" Fertiliser & Plant Growth "Premium" Fertiliser. Specialized contains nitrogen and phosphorus while premium doesn't. Specialized is meant for tanks with lots of plants and few fish and premium is meant for tanks with lots of fish and fewer plants...

My question is which one do you chose for tanks with both a high number of fish and a dense amount of plants? Tropica in all it's wisdom isn't catering to my middle ground so I'm kinda confused as to which to chose.
Middle ground? That's easy.

Buy both and mix 1:1 :biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts