The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new at this hobby and wanna have my first planted aquarium, my tank is 40 L (10 gallons) which I will keep a betta in it, it is lowtech, and I will have the following plants in that tank: crypt wendtii brown, anubias nana, anubias nana petite, rotala sp. green, bacopa caroliniana, sagittaria subulata or crypt parva. I have 1200 lumens led lighting, and as substrate my plan is from bottom: crushed lava rock-tropica substrate-vitasand river gravel and I don't wanna use any root tabs, atleast in first year. I will use tropica premium liquid fertilizer in first 2 months then I'm gonna start using Tropica specialized fertilizer. Is my plan ok? If there's anything wrong etc. can you tell me please? Thank you.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I haven't personally had any luck with the crypt parva, but the others on your list are relatively easy to grow plants.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Like the previous comment your plant list is pretty solid but you may see even slower growth with the slow growing crypt parva depending on the PAR levels of your light at the distance you plan to plant them. Is there a particular reason why you want to skip the root tabs from the start? It would also be beneficial for the other plants you have listed. Just curious. Also I would consider waiting 3-4 months before switching to the specialized. In low tech setups I've found that allowing your plants to grow/get well established and getting your plant mass up will help prevent algae with the specialized. But you may just have adjust dosage as you go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like the previous comment your plant list is pretty solid but you may see even slower growth with the slow growing crypt parva depending on the PAR levels of your light at the distance you plan to plant them. Is there a particular reason why you want to skip the root tabs from the start? It would also be beneficial for the other plants you have listed. Just curious. Also I would consider waiting 3-4 months before switching to the specialized. In low tech setups I've found that allowing your plants to grow/get well established and getting your plant mass up will help prevent algae with the specialized. But you may just have adjust dosage as you go.
I heard/read that it may cause algae because I am using easy plants, my aquarium is small and I'm already gonna use tropica substrate+liquid fertilizer but I'm not sure actually. If you say I'll need root tabs I'll buy them too and Instead of crypt parva can I use dwarf sagittaria?

I heard/read that root tabs may cause algae because I am using easy plants, my aquarium is small and I'm already gonna use tropica substrate+liquid fertilizer but I'm not sure actually. If you say I'll need root tabs I'll buy them too and instead of crypt parva can I use dwarf sagittaria?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dwarf sag is very easy to grow and would def work well in lower light. I haven’t tried parva myself but it seems to be one of the more difficult crypts to grow as it requires more lighting than the average crypt and grows VERY slowly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've used soil additives with both tropica and ada substrates before without any issues with algae. For me the smaller the tank, the leaner my regime for dosing ferts. I had a 30 L lowtech cube that was successful by using less the recommended dosage for ferts and reduced lighting 6 hr/day for the first 3 months. Slow growth at first, but after the 3 month mark had great growth and density dosing up to the recommended amount and increasing light duration to a full 10 hours. Depending on your light you could also decrease the intensity if you have the option. As for root tabs you can just use less than what they recommend if you choose to use them or add them later like you had intended to. I've always used at least a little for every tank, but again YMMV. Trust me when I say experimenting with fert dosage, lighting duration/intensity, water change percentage/frequency, etc. will pay off down the road with future tanks. Every tank is so different and the experience and knowledge you'll gain with this 40 L with help prevent headaches later on. My methodology has always been to add up to optimization over time instead subtracting. Good luck and I hope my experience will help a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts