The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Tropica's CO2 system for smaller tanks? I have a 15gal and was wondering if it would be a viable option. I have a few concerns though.

1) I would have to manually turn it on/off, which I might forget to do and mess it up, anything I could "add" to the system to assist with this? It would be off at night...ideally.
1a) Would the rate be funky?

2) How long would one canister last me, at a standard rate like 1 bubble per second, last me in my size tank, I'm trying to gauge if it's monetarily going to be not worth it

3) How do I not gas my animals -- biggest priority

NOTE: I know someone's going to say "just get legit pressurized CO2" and I know bro I know but I wouldn't be looking into this system if getting a huge set up was cheap/doable. Unless you know how it can be, then I'm all ears lol. I'm also a bit intimidated by this all.

Is there another not-bank-breaking alternative?

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can get a paintball tank setup if you are looking for a setup with a smaller footprint. Get a 24oz paintball tank and a regulator like this https://smile.amazon.com/FZONE-Aqua...96849291&sprefix=co2+regulator,aps,507&sr=8-6

It has a built in solenoid so just hook it up to a mechanical timer or smart plug and you can control when to turn it on and for how long. Get yourself a c02 drop checker so you can monitor the amount of co2 being dissolved in your tank water.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'm using the FZone paintball regulator with the pressure control knob, the next model up from the one 808style is using.

It's actually a fair little regulator. It can be used with either the 90 gram disposables, any of the 12/20/24 oz. paintball tanks or a full sized 5# Kegerator CO2 tank. Getting the paintball tank filled is the issue, if you don't have a paintball supply store, Big 5, Dick's or other outdoor/sporting company that does paintball refills. ( I should also note it doesn't work with the Fluval disposable CO2 cylinders UpAqua sells a 3 pack of the 90 gram ones that do work. They're not cheap, makes a 5# cylinder look pretty affordable in the long run.)

It's needle valve can regulate reliably down to 1 bubble every 5 seconds if you preset the pressure to about 10~12 PSI, which is good enough for low pressure diffusers.

It does have a potential issue with the electrical connection to the internal solenoid, it's a very fragile little plug, and if you do use a paintball or other tall tank setup, it would be good to make some sort of safety strap retainer of sorts for the tank/regulator to hold that tank upright if jostled or knocked over, Also, don't lay these regulators installed on tanks on their sides, it will feed CO2 liquid into the regulator and can damage or even explode the regulator.

My only beef with the FZone is there's no tank pressure gauge. It's the price you pay for one of the most compact of aquarium regulators. Buy some extra paintball cylinder urethane O-rings if you choose to use the paintball tank, as they wear out quickly and can cause a lot of hard to track down leakages.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get a paintball tank setup if you are looking for a setup with a smaller footprint. Get a 24oz paintball tank and a regulator like this https://smile.amazon.com/FZONE-Aqua...96849291&sprefix=co2+regulator,aps,507&sr=8-6

It has a built in solenoid so just hook it up to a mechanical timer or smart plug and you can control when to turn it on and for how long. Get yourself a c02 drop checker so you can monitor the amount of co2 being dissolved in your tank water.
Damn homie do it really be that easy? I'm obviously new to CO2, is there a suggestion you have for any guides I should read? Some of the ones here seem super comprehensive but I can't always understand them. Where would I get the actual gas though, sports store? Also any thoughts on the problems/things mentioned about the FZone by @GrampsGrunge?

I'm using the FZone paintball regulator with the pressure control knob, the next model up from the one 808style is using.

It's actually a fair little regulator. It can be used with either the 90 gram disposables, any of the 12/20/24 oz. paintball tanks or a full sized 5# Kegerator CO2 tank. Getting the paintball tank filled is the issue, if you don't have a paintball supply store, Big 5, Dick's or other outdoor/sporting company that does paintball refills. ( I should also note it doesn't work with the Fluval disposable CO2 cylinders UpAqua sells a 3 pack of the 90 gram ones that do work. They're not cheap, makes a 5# cylinder look pretty affordable in the long run.)

It's needle valve can regulate reliably down to 1 bubble every 5 seconds if you preset the pressure to about 10~12 PSI, which is good enough for low pressure diffusers.

It does have a potential issue with the electrical connection to the internal solenoid, it's a very fragile little plug, and if you do use a paintball or other tall tank setup, it would be good to make some sort of safety strap retainer of sorts for the tank/regulator to hold that tank upright if jostled or knocked over, Also, don't lay these regulators installed on tanks on their sides, it will feed CO2 liquid into the regulator and can damage or even explode the regulator.

My only beef with the FZone is there's no tank pressure gauge. It's the price you pay for one of the most compact of aquarium regulators. Buy some extra paintball cylinder urethane O-rings if you choose to use the paintball tank, as they wear out quickly and can cause a lot of hard to track down leakages.
Wow thanks for all the feedback. I'm new to CO2, can you give me more of a run down on how to make sure a paint ball style set up would be safe for my frogs? I don't want to run it and immediately gas the lads.

A couple of questions ...
1. What is a 5# Kegerator CO2 tank? Sorry I'm new to all this

2. Is presetting the pressure hard/something I need to do myself?

3. So the potential danger is it knocking over or something, which causes damage or in the worst case makes it explode? If I were to nestle it in a corner (I have a really weird room with a tight corner), how careful would I need to be about it shaking?

4. Can you explain what you mean by paintball cylinder urethane O-rings? Again, I'm very new to the world of CO2. Any guidance is heavily appreciated

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Damn homie do it really be that easy? I'm obviously new to CO2, is there a suggestion you have for any guides I should read? Some of the ones here seem super comprehensive but I can't always understand them. Where would I get the actual gas though, sports store? Also any thoughts on the problems/things mentioned about the FZone by @GrampsGrunge?

Wow thanks for all the feedback. I'm new to CO2, can you give me more of a run down on how to make sure a paint ball style set up would be safe for my frogs? I don't want to run it and immediately gas the lads.

A couple of questions ...
1. What is a 5# Kegerator CO2 tank? Sorry I'm new to all this

2. Is presetting the pressure hard/something I need to do myself?

3. So the potential danger is it knocking over or something, which causes damage or in the worst case makes it explode? If I were to nestle it in a corner (I have a really weird room with a tight corner), how careful would I need to be about it shaking?

4. Can you explain what you mean by paintball cylinder urethane O-rings? Again, I'm very new to the world of CO2. Any guidance is heavily appreciated

Well this is more than 4 questions I might have to charge consulting fees..:wink2:

Frogs and CO2, I'm not experienced with keeping frogs in a aquarium with CO2 fertilization, I don't know. Frogs breathe through their skin, not sure it's a good idea.

A five pound CO2 cylinder with the CGA320 shutoff valve, a common and standard type of CO2 tank.

Pre-setting the pressure is easy, you turn the knob on top of the regulator and watch the pressure gauge on the side, adjust as needed.

This is basic pressurized CO2 safety class 101. If you cannot find a way to retain your cylinder vertically, you probably shouldn't be running CO2. A simple 3"~6" diameter screw type hose clamp permanently fixed to a vertical surface or screwed into the leg of your stand would suffice for retaining a paintball tank. Don't tighten the hose clamp around the tank! just close it up so it keeps the tank from falling over if casually knocked over by a pet or if you're tinkering around where it sits.

When you buy the paintball tank it comes with a clearish rubbery plastic O-ring around the brass piece at the top, this is the seal between the +800 pounds per square inch inside the paintball tank and the adapter on the FZone regulator. You will need to change the adapter on this regulator when it arrives if you are going to use a paintball tank. Otherwise the 5 pound or bigger standard tanks will work with the adapter that it comes assembled with. There are tools in the box to change this over, I believe it's a 6mm hex Allen wrench.

Link to the Tippman O-rings https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/715407470

1 - 5 of 5 Posts