The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would start a journal for my new tank. Here are a couple shots of the tank on day 5.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the compliments.

the light is a Coralife 2x31 watt T5

plant list:
hemianthus callitrichoides
echinodorus vesuvius
crinum calamistratum
unknown stem plant

I have a few more weeks to decide what inhabitants I am going to buy. I would love to buy 6 tangerine colored shrimp, I think they are very attractive and would be an interesting color contrast to the tank. I need to look into where clown killifish are available.

I was thinking of going with the ADA line of ferts because it is locally available and I would rather dose with liquids. I was going to buy green brighty step 1 and step 2.

step 1 details:
A balanced existence of trace elements is vital in the initial period, to stimulate the sprouting of new roots and buds. Nitrogen, Phosphorus or Potassium are not included, as these may only induce algae development at this stage when the plants nutrient requirements are low.

step 2 details:
3 months after planting, roots and leaves of aquatic plans have matured and begun normal growth. Among other trace elements, aquatic plants require Iron in this period, and iron deficiency often causes whitening of plants buds or leaves. Green Brighty STEP 2 is rich in Iron.

When do you recommend I start dosing these products? I was thinking of starting small doses of step 1 after 2 weeks, to help promote new growth. And then after an estimated 4 week cycle time, perhaps dosing a mixture of step 1 and step 2 2-3 times a week and doing 1/3 water changes once per week. Does this sound like too aggressive a scheme because of the already enriched aqua soil? ADA enthusiasts please help me out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tested ph, ammonia, and nitrite last night. It seems the cycle is just getting started.

ph - 6.2
ammonia - 4.0 ppm
nitrite - 0.0 ppm

@[email protected] - Thank you for the advice. I will consider it. I am seeing small amounts of a clear hair algae, predominantly attached to weaker parts of the plants. Nothing too much though, hopefully it stays that way.

My plan is to not start dosing for a couple more weeks. I think with 3/4 of the tank HC and the left 1/4 of tank heavily planted I will essentially have a light-to-moderate plant biomass.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are a few photos from day 11. I cleaned up the left side a bit. I can't wait for the water to clear up and the plants to perk up tmrw.

Vesuvius plant sending out a clone:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@[email protected] - I wish I went with the advice you gave me sooner. At approximately day 16 or 17 I started to see green hair algae breakouts.

On day 18 I picked up a large water sprite plant and an unknown stem plant for fairly cheap. I cut off a bit of the root mass and I am currently floating the plants in the tank. I believe I did this correctly.

I was able to disturb some of the algae into the water column which was sucked into the filter. I also did a 50% water change. So far the algae seems to be retreating. :)

April 20 FTS:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tool on the far left is a pair of Do!Aqua curved scissors.
The center one is an old pair of cheap scissors.
On the right is a pair of Do!Aqua tweezers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am in the process of adding a second smaller hob filter to the back of the tank. Still battling algae, which in the future, will hopefully be eaten up after my tank cycles and I add the first inhabitants.

Water parameters:
ammonia - 1.5 ppm
nitrite - 0.25 ppm
nitrate - 20 ppm

I have not tested and confirmed a nitrite spike.

Note: I did start a light dosing every other day of pfertz macros and micros. I have been doing regular water changes.

Day 29 FTS:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
What kind of water are you using? Plus you are prolly running too much light on that tank since its not fully grown. Can you switch one bulb on and off?

Edit: Oh yeah read back on first page. Try cutting your light. None of those plants need that much wattage on a tank so short.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tested my water parameters today after doing a 50% water change yesterday.

ammonia - 0.5 ppm
nitrite - 0.0 ppm
nitrate - 20 ppm

I have not been dosing nitrogen because my nitrates are currently between 20-40 ppm. Is this the correct move?

I have been dosing P, K and micros one pump every other morning.

Shot of the HC growing back in. I had to cut it low and weed out algae for a couple of weeks which was detrimental to the health of the plant. Now that I am winning the battle versus algae I expect it to come in strong.

The reflection of plants off the black background makes it look like there is algae on the glass but it is pretty clean.

I hope to add two otoclinus next week after another water change. :icon_smil

1 - 19 of 19 Posts