The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone!

These are still a work in progress, but they are derived from the variable Blue Diamond strain imported by Speedie last year. The stock strain gave off browns/blacks/blue mixtures and was not super stable in one color.

I have been working to express and stabilize the deep sapphire blue coloration that was hidden beneath the dark black/brown/blue shell. The picture is a great example of what I'm almost done removing from the strain. The tail end of the shrimp still maintains the black outer color. ALSO, if you reference my signature image, thats how stock strain used to look.

I have named them Nogaro Blue (NBs)

Hope you like them! Feel free to ask me questions, except when I will be selling them lol they are not ready yet.

Male

Female

Overall progress of colony

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh my.....I really love the color you're getting there! Gorgeous! <3

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice work! That's awesome! Beautiful shrimp and pics
Looking really beautiful and clear! Can't wait to see your continued progress!
Nice... I like the color. I wish you luck with these.
Oh my.....I really love the color you're getting there! Gorgeous! <3
Thank you all! I hope that I can get it to stabilize :)

The shrimp looks nice, Keep up the good work.
Question: is the other shrimp have black tail or only this one?
Thanks! So far the other shrimp have varying amounts of black left on them. I keep the bluest with the least amount of black for selective breeding.

Looks like my carbon rills, are these both derived from chocolates or something? I mean BD and carb rills.
To my knowledge they are both derived from the chocolates.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isn't this whats labeled as blue wizard? Simply a higher grade carbon rili with great blues?
Haven't heard of those! But yes I am going for a similar blue with my sapphires.

I believe me and others are all on the same track with developing this color strain. Which is great, we will be able to mix up the gene pool and stabilize it even further :D

I wonder if there will be any compatibility issues crossing the blues derived from carbons and the ones derived from BDs.

·
Registered
907 Posts
We should have a sticky for selective breeding and new strain names so other members will be aware of what name to choose for their strain.
I will start one topic now and put it under my signature in case it didn't turn to a sticky.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks great!

Any way I can ask you to change your name from Sapphire to something else since I have been using the name Sapphire for my strain I've been working on for a few years now? http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2935898&highlight=sapphire#post2935898

Pretty Please?
No problem at all! I tried searching if the name has been used before but must have missed it. I have renamed them to something I am pretty sure no one has lol good luck with your line!

We should have a sticky for selective breeding and new strain names so other members will be aware of what name to choose for their strain.
I will start one topic now and put it under my signature in case it didn't turn to a sticky.
I agree 100%. How do we go about doing this?

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
"No problem at all! I tried searching if the name has been used before but must have missed it. I have renamed them to something I am pretty sure no one has lol good luck with your line!"

Thanks. :) I love the look of your line thus far! We need the different genetics in shrimping. Your blue is lovely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can I ask how do you breed them? You put a pair of different species of neocaridina and then select the ones you want or do you mix a caridina with a neo and select the good ones? I mean I have been trying to know what people do to make new strains but where I live this is totally new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Can I ask how do you breed them? You put a pair of different species of neocaridina and then select the ones you want or do you mix a caridina with a neo and select the good ones? I mean I have been trying to know what people do to make new strains but where I live this is totally new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
They keep the same breeds together and simply take out the ones that they don't want. If they want to try for solid blue they seperate all the black ones. That's how we get different colors of neos. They were all cherries at one time or another.

-Chris

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.