The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two different stem plants - Bacopa Caroliniana and Green Ludwigia. When I trim the stems (in between nodes) two new stems grow from where I cut. However the bottom part dies off. Is this normal? And if so, what can you do to avoid such a problem?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I don't have those plants, but when I trim my Brazilian Pennywort (stem plant), I trim the plants from the bottom and throw the bottoms out. Maybe you can try the same so that the tops keep growing nicely.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds more like a deficiency of some sort. Either not enough light reaching the bottom, not enough ferts, or lacking in CO2. Give the specs of your tank and fert regimine.

·
Registered
390 Posts
something similar happens to my bacopa, but instead of dying off the bottoms usually get swarmed with BBA. However, the tops usually split and look absolutely fine

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'll second the not enough light comment. The lower leaves will start to fall off. Does this only happen after you trim or do you also notice it on the more mature stems?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 95G tank with 4 54W T5's in it. Two bulbs are on for 8 hours. The other two are on for 5 hours.

I have a pressurized CO2 system and dose EI

Yes the top splits and they're fine. It the bottom part which has problems.

This seems to only happen when I trim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts