The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am just curious. What if i trim a stem plant without leaving any leaves? i mean i ll spare some nodes, maybe 2 points but ill be plucking out all the leaves. will it grow?

the reason i ask this question is beacause the plant is growing strong but the leaves at the bottom end of the stem is rotting...

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
usually if the plant is in good shape and has a half way decent root structure it will grow back, but from my experiences if you trim like this on a repeated basis eventually it wont grow back. i find it good to do every once in a while especially to get rid of the ugly bottoms with roots growing out of them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
usually if the plant is in good shape and has a half way decent root structure it will grow back, but from my experiences if you trim like this on a repeated basis eventually it wont grow back. i find it good to do every once in a while especially to get rid of the ugly bottoms with roots growing out of them.
Jreich, in other words, the plants will grow back? ive never done this before and im quite afraid to do it as it is my background plant. It is growing wildly. I just want it to grow bushy with fresh new leaves.

Tony, Ive been thinking of that too but the plant had establish good root structure and i believe its holding the slope... im scared that if I uproot, ill loose my steep slope overtime and cause a big mess cause my substrate is MTS. Please do correct me if im wrong.

thanks guys for writing back.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My biggest problem with pruning is the algae outbreak that follows. For some reason every time I cut anything, the tank has a ridiculous algae bloom that covers almost everything. I want to prune more to train my plants to be bushier, but the upset of balance screws it up. Not trying to hijack, but I thought it was a valid question since it is about pruning

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for tip bpb...i think we are in the same boat...bushy plants...i want to try this at the end of this week...chopping everything off..bahugo gave a good link to refer... Most of my plants (except foregorund) had reached the surface.. hopefully all goes well...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.