The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "high tech" aquarium has been doing great. The stem plants are growing like crazy and I've trimmed them several times. They're getting pretty leggy, with beautiful growth on top and not much further down.

https://youtu.be/MUI7b08a5L0

I came across this video, which suggests cutting them down to the substrate and replanting after several trims. Does anyone have experience with this? I know it probably wouldn't hurt, the trimmings always grow like crazy, but I'm nervous to try it regardless and would love some thoughts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on the stem. Some you can indeed cut way down (like Rotala rotundifolia, Heteranthera zosterifolia, etc) but others do better as replanted tops.
I believe the majority of my stem plants are Ludwigia Super Red and Rotala Indica. I bought the Buceplant stem pack, but those are the ones that have really taken off.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I believe the majority of my stem plants are Ludwigia Super Red and Rotala Indica. I bought the Buceplant stem pack, but those are the ones that have really taken off.
You most likely do have Rotala rotundifolia. It's been sold in error as indica for years. The submersed form of the true indica has leaves that are round, and it's pickier and slower growing. Rotundifolia is easier and faster and a good one for the mow cut.

The Ludwigia is one that does well with selective thinning, but you can probably mow it. Helps to just experiment with different plants to see what works best.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You most likely do have Rotala rotundifolia. It's been sold in error as indica for years. The submersed form of the true indica has leaves that are round, and it's pickier and slower growing. Rotundifolia is easier and faster and a good one for the mow cut.

The Ludwigia is one that does well with selective thinning, but you can probably mow it. Helps to just experiment with different plants to see what works best.
It does look like rotundifolia! I kept looking at pictures of indica and thinking it looked different, but that's what the pack said it was. Glad to know what it actually is. I went through with a big maintenance today, and I think it worked out pretty well, hopefully the plants aren't too upset by it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.