The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my stem plants are about to reach the surface (some already have and are bending) so I'm thinking I'll trim my 20 gallon long tank soon...a few questions:

1. I've read several times "just hack them in half" and they will grow! Well, I know that, but would it help it I allowed the stem plants to form better roots between trimming and replanting? In other words, instead of every week of trimming and replanting the tops, trim one week and allow the rooted bottoms to grow and then the next trimming be a replanting of the tops....

or in a less confusing explaination:

First trim: remove tops
Second trim: replant tops
Third trim: remove tops...or whatever would be best

2. Would replanting the top where all the nodes are less leggy help promote a less leggier plant?

3. Finally, does any of this matter or should I just replant the tops to have the healthiest/most colorful plant matter?

Thank's for the suggestions, some plants are about to have the law brought down on them!

- Garrett

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I think you're overthinking this... lol. Just keep in mind that most stems will branch right below the last cut. Though if you've waited till the base of the stem has lost all its leaves to trim, you need to trim before this happens.

Whether or not to replant the cuttings depends on how large overall you want your total "bush" of stems.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're overthinking this... lol. Just keep in mind that most stems will branch right below the last cut. Though if you've waited till the base of the stem has lost all its leaves to trim, you need to trim before this happens.

Whether or not to replant the cuttings depends on how large overall you want your total "bush" of stems.
Yeah I think I may be overthinking this! I have waited a little too long on my ludwigia repens, either that or the upper leaves are so broad they have blocked out light to the lower...so time to replant the tops in their case.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Hi Cap10Squirty,

Here is one of the best threads I have found on how to trim stem plants to get that full, compact 'Dutch' or ADA look. I do it and it works great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts