The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much can i trim off and the plant will still sprout new side shoots? Can i also take thr trimmings cut about 3" of the top and also replant the midsection? I just wanted to mow down the tank and see where there are empty spots since its hard to see with everything grown in.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Depending on plants, cut stem plants approx 3 inches from substrate. This will also encourage dense growth

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Is there a reason to trim so low? Would it encourage a thicker bottom stem and faster growth? Very curious as I will have to trim my tanks this weekend.
I cut that low for the first trim. Then I left the two or more branches reach up about halfway in the tank. Then I'll trim off another inch or two from that point to get even bushier.

Really depends on how bushy you want the growth to get as to where you trim. No rule set in stone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is pretty much exactly how I trim. It's a short term sacrifice but definitely worth it in the long run. And you can replanted the tops around the plant however you wish

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.