The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received some Limnophila Aromaticas and was wondering if I could prune them at the location marked for replanting in another area. From previous experience with land plants it should work. I could just remove the leaves about 3/4 of an inch and stick em in the substrate. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Those are some stunning reds! hopefully you will be able to keep them this way, although they are notoriously difficult to keep red.

I have been playing around with trimming L. aromatica lately. It is a lot better to trim right around the base to achieve a bushy look. Trimming where it is marked looks like it will probably put out shoots more in the middle that could look displeasing to the eye.

But yeah, nearly ALL stem plants will re-root at the bottom end. I wouldnt even worry about pulling the bottom leaves away as they serve as a nice anchor until it roots. I just grab the bottom with tweezers and plunge it into the substrate as far as it will go, otherwise the plants will float out.

cheers

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
James hit the nail on the head. With stem plants, you can cut them anywhere on the stem and replant the top. The stump of the plant will likely sprout 2 new branches from the cut area, and in no time you have a forest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts