The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My young son and I started a 10g many weeks ago. Things are moving along nicely, much due to the help of so many of you more knowledgeable hobbyists.

We started out with a variety of plants. Some have grown like weeds in this little 10g with a 15 watt flourescent hood. So, now we need to trim some of these plants, then decide what to do with the trimmings. Also want to know if I have to choose between the newly cut top part, or "rooted" bottom part, which part to keep. Plants that need trimming:

Brazillian Pennywort
Wisteria
Some other stem plant - looks a lot like Baby Tears, but cannot be positive.

One other plant question - not really "trimming", but it looks like some java ferns have little "plantlets" growing on the leaves. Is this normal, and if so, what do I do with them?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
that pennywort needs trimming already? wow, you guys are rockin! if you have it planted as a stem plant, you can trim it right above the node (where the leaves stick out). wisteria is pretty much the same way. and if you're dealing with stems, you can pretty much count that for all of them. the little java plantlets you can wait until they get about 2" or so and then they should either fall off, or you can gently pull them off, and stick them in a crack in some driftwood, or tie them onto something. whatever works. i'd love to see a pic of the tank man!! tell your son i said hello!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dane - the pennywort that needs trimming is not the stuff you sent us - I had picked this up locally the day before you sent us your trimming. Yours, however, is doing fine. Also - the anubias each have about 4-5 new leaves, although, most of the original leaves have black spots on them. Not sure if that is algae, or something else.

Something else I noticed on the one stem plant (presumed to be baby tears, but not sure)... the original bottom portion leaves have not done well at all. However, since planting them, they have grown several inches, and the top growth is excellent. Bottom leaves are dropping, but being replaced in most instances by new growth. That is one of the reasons I was wondering what portion I should keep if I cannot keep both the bottom half, and the top half of the cutting.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
it sounds like the anubias ould have a nutrient deficiency or could have some bba on them. any chance you doing co2 on the tank? if it's a smaller tank, you could probably get away with dosing some excel. it sounds like the bottom leaves are not getting enough light and are rotting away.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it sounds like the anubias ould have a nutrient deficiency or could have some bba on them. any chance you doing co2 on the tank? if it's a smaller tank, you could probably get away with dosing some excel. it sounds like the bottom leaves are not getting enough light and are rotting away.
I am dosing Excel daily - .7mL for a 10g - package says not to overdose, and this is a 10g, so I thought I should back off a little to compensate for the displacement of substrate, etc. Also adding Flourish once per week - same amount, around .7-.8 mL. The lower leaves were kinda hurting well before there was any upper level leaves that might block light. Like I said, ALL new growth is doing great, just the lower stuff not looking so good.

If/when I ever find the camera, I can post a photo.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i would dose about a capful. i dose 2 capfuls 2 or 3 times a week in my lowerlight 20g. so i'd do about 1 cap every other day or so. flourish, yes, take it easy. once a week should be suffice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Capful of Excel every day? That is the suggested amount for 50 gallons, and again, with a strongly worded warning not to OD. I should also mention that RCS will soon become residents of this tank, should that be an issue.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
no no, not every single day. every 2 or 3 days. not sure if i would dose that with the shrimp. a few experts could probably help you with that one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotcha on the Excel. Back to the unknown stem plant - if I trim the upper portion, and it seems the upper looks more healthy but the lower has a few roots and seems to be developing new growth, AND, I do not have room for all if it, would I be better off:

a) leaving original bottom growth, discard upper growth
b) tearing out old bottom growth, and replanting newly trimmed upper growth in its place.

Same kinda goes for the wisteria.. while its top growth looks a bit better, the bottom growth is still "decent".

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i wouldn't discard the top. i'd replant it maybe in another area, or you can go with plan b. either way. plan b might end up doing the same thing if it's from lack of light.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd love to replant elsewhere - things are getting pretty tight already. My son really wants to start another tank because.... get this... he wants to help teach his 5 year old brother and 4 year old sister about this stuff!!!!!! Is that absolutely amazing or what???!!!! Gotta love it!!!

Dad, however, is a bit stretched, so buying everything for another tank new is out of the question at the moment. I am hoping the upcoming garage sale season will yield some options! I guess the worse case is I place cuttings in a tupperware container on the window sill and hope it lasts long enough to eventually make it to a new tank!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.