The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So I have a big bunch of Micranthemum umbrosum that is getting a little too tall.. It's about 9-10 inches from the substrate now.. There is a little bit of dead leaves at the bottom but thats because when I got the bushel in the mail it was melting away but once I got it in my tank it just exploded in growth!

Anyway, how should I go about trimming these guys down and replanting a new bushel beside the original?

Also, I have some jungle vals that are getting towards the top of the water line.. How do I go about trimming/propagating these guys?

Thanks!

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
The vals will send out runners with pups. I trim mine by just cutting them where I want. Never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks graphic!

Also, I treated the tank with a few doses of excel a few days ago and some of the vals leaves are starting to melt... should I just cut them off and wait for new sprouts? I imagine they're still acclimating to my tank too since I only got them about a week ago.

Also, anyone know how to trim the micranthemum umbrosum?

Thanks!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Vals are known to be sensitive to Excel. I've read they can be acclimatized to it. I dosed for the first time with Excel with a double dose to get rid of BBA and lost most of my vals. All I was left with are a few new shoots a few inches high. It's too early yet to tell whether they will survive or not.
If you want to save the vals I'd suggest moving them out of the tank for a while until they get over the initial shock then try introducing them again. I'm cutting back on my Excel dosages to about 1/2 what they recommend (the BBA's all gone). I run compressed CO2 also.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The vals will send out runners with pups. I trim mine by just cutting them where I want. Never had a problem with it.
So cutting the vals down the middle of the leaf somewhere will do no harm to the leaf? It will just heal up and continue to grow upward?
I never had any vals but i really like the way they look. I just dont like the look they give off when they get too tall and start to lean over on the top of the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.