The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ludwigia grows straight up and most stems will develop a side shoot or another plant from the roots. I have just trimmed above the side shoot on a couple of plants and then replanted the trimmings after removing some of the bottom leaves to make a smooth stem to plant and I also removed the roots that like to grow out next to new leaves all the way to the top of the plant.

I figured the old rooted stem would help the side shoot grow and the trimming would develop new roots, is this ok or should I have trimmed and planted the side shoot??

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm not 100% clear on what you're asking, but personally for stem plants I just cut and then plant. I avoid messing too much with the leaves/roots in an attempt to not damage any axillary buds and/or meristems.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm not 100% clear on what you're asking, but personally for stem plants I just cut and then plant. I avoid messing too much with the leaves/roots in an attempt to not damage any axillary buds and/or meristems.
I believe he means he has new shoots already growing from the axillary buds and/or meristems, and when he trimmed he cut off the main stem and left those to grow from the established roots. And he was asking if this is a good thing to do. (Which it is, OP)

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep!!
I believe he means he has new shoots already growing from the axillary buds and/or meristems and when he trimmed he cut off the main stem and left those to grow from the established roots. And he was asking if this is a good thing to do. (Which it is, OP)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I believe he means he has new shoots already growing from the axillary buds and/or meristems, and when he trimmed he cut off the main stem and left those to grow from the established roots. And he was asking if this is a good thing to do. (Which it is, OP)
Ohhhhh, I understand now :D

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only tried it with 2 plants, one I just cut and cleaned 3 inches or so of the stem and planted it, this one seems to be dying. I did almost the same with the second one with the only difference being I rinsed and rubbed any algae or sediment from the palnt leaves before planting, this one is doing very well at retaining it's leaves and deep red color.

Both of the original rooted plants are doing well and putting on new growth and good color.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
It could be a bad cut. You have to use razor sharp scissors to limit damage otherwise your plants turn jelly from the stem to crown.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.