The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an anubias nana that is about two years old. It started out as a small tube plant from Petco with three leaves and has grown quite a bit in my low-tech tank. It has branched off into a " Y " shape horizontally with the stem splitting into two, each forked end growing new leaves while the original stem (the bottom part of the Y) does not have many leaves. I wish to cut this plant up into smaller sections to propagate it but have never done this before with an anubias. I'm worried I will mess up somehow and kill the plant (call me crazy but I'm kinda attached to it since I've had it for a while and learned quite a bit about plant care by having it). The roots are quite attached to the driftwood and have actually started to emerge from the bottom of the wood and into the substrate.

Any tips and advice on trimming this plant up into sections to produce more plants? How should I go about cutting this plant up and where should I split it at?

I will post a picture of the plant if you guys and gals need it, just let me know.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You could split one of the branches off with almost no harm to the plant. Just use a sharp and clean knife or scissors and cut it right at the base of the branch. You could get three if you cut both branches off the main stem.

I would either cut like this:

Code:
\.../      \..   ./       \.  .   ./
  |    to   |        or       |
If there's still 3+ healthy leaves and roots on a section of the rhizome then it should have enough energy to grow new leaves at a cut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.