The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Invest in a Spotlight

Keep a 23W CFL or those 25W(115W tungsten equivalent) Ecostart PAR38 LED spotlight from HomeDepot and keep it on for 12hrs on leaves. If you have a higher ratio of smaller to larger leaves pinch off a large leaf or two, so smaller ones grow. Monthly root tabs, CO2, and spotlight on leaves closer to substrate helped me get the one in the picture below, that's my bamboo shrimp on the bottom right leaf:wink:

Also pinch off leaves with holes and those that seem transparent or melting.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Just pinch off any leaves growing taller than you like. One of mine finally threw an aerial leaf [green on top with very prominent veins] and once I cut that one it gave up and stayed low. It sure isn't easy to trim such pretty leaves though.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Just pinch off any leaves growing taller than you like. One of mine finally threw an aerial leaf [green on top with very prominent veins] and once I cut that one it gave up and stayed low. It sure isn't easy to trim such pretty leaves though.
+1 I have several lotus that grow at varying heights, this is how I got them to do what I wanted them to do lol

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if I start trimming off the larger leaves to get it bushy, will it eventually still send up a pad to flower?

Also, how bushy can I make this thing? The one in the pic above is still taller and sparse than I would like. How tall of leaves are too short to cut? I've seen pics of very dense undergrowth, leaves on leaves and a single or double pad to the surface, that is basically what I'm trying to get to.

High light, co2, root tabs and column ferts.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Still waiting on mine

Hopefully someone else here can verify this, but I think you'll need several runners on the surface (pads) to get sufficient solar energy for the flower bulb sprout. I'm still waiting on mine, though it has two small pads on the surface.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Hopefully someone else here can verify this, but I think you'll need several runners on the surface (pads) to get sufficient solar energy for the flower bulb sprout. I'm still waiting on mine, though it has two small pads on the surface.
if you keep surface leaves too long, the plant will stop putting out lower leaves, and always send leaves to the surface, it is best to trim them as soon as you can, then trim at the height you want the plant to grow to, this will train the plant to send only to that point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.