The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a technique like cutting just above the node, or does it not matter? My concern is the left over above the node rotting, as I have a lot and don't want a bunch of decaying plant matter in the water column. Last time I trimed I had 50+ plants with rotting tips.

Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
well from my experiance with Rotala indica i have found out that even under
very low water conditions it will still grow from a 1 inch stem. before i got back into the hobby again i had a huge 6-7 foot vine? of this stuff growing in my tank after i cut 98% of it off its regrown. all i do to trim it is just take some scissors and cut it to the right size.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The trim at a low point, but not too low, make sure it can still get plenty of light. Additional side-shoots will appear once you trim it. I think that Rotala is the easiest to trim because it just creates additional shoots at the point where you trimmed. It is tricky though when you want the plants to grow/look/shape a certain way because it can really depend a lot on how you trim. Re-plant the clipping, let it grow out, then repeat the process if you intend to spread the plant around. Rotala is very easy to propagate. I actually started with 2 tiny stems of Rotala walichii in my 10 gallon and now I have quite a few.

Good luck!

-Ryan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts