The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started a new 20 long on 1/17/14.

Lighting: Aquaticlife dual 24w T5HO with one Geisemann Aquaflora and one Geisemann Midday. 30" Finnex Planted+ LED. 10hrs a day

Substrate: 100% Eco-Complete

Fertilization: dry ferts. N-P-K mon, weds, fri. Csm+b tues, thurs, sat. Sunday is 50% water change

CO2: pressurized at 2bps through a GLA atomic diffuser

Hardscape: a few lava rocks I had laying around and a few small pieces of manzanita.

Other Equipment: 100w Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm heater. Hydor nano powerhead. Eheim 2215 for filtration.

Plants: Downoi, Hydrocotyle sp. Japan, HC, Eleocharis Parvula(DHG), Fissidens Fontanus, Starogoyne Repens, Anubias Nana petite

Inhabitants: PFR cherry shrimp, 4 Otto cats and a small school of cardinal tetras

Other notes - going for more of an Iwagumi scape here. Going to add some Hygro Pinnatifida in the back and maybe another stem plant. Still unsure on the stocking. The mini cycle is pretty much done with. Only lasted a few days. Was thinking of going with some cardinal tetras and some cherry shrimp. I like the look of schooling fish in iwagumi scapes. Any suggestions on fish or stem plants?

Will update as the plants fill in!

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Prob a couple months. I won't trim it at all until it has completely filled in. That will give it a nice low look and promote smaller leaves
Reasonably long time then. How long would it take for a carpet of dwarf hair grass to take with 1 watt a gallon and no fets and co2?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reasonably long time then. How long would it take for a carpet of dwarf hair grass to take with 1 watt a gallon and no fets and co2?
Well wpg rule is outdated because of all the advances in lighting. HOT5s, LEDs etc. Most people use PAR now. But to answer your question, a long time. It carpets very slowly and sparsely in those conditions. At least from my past expirience.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Quick update. Decided to replace my coralife fixture just because I dislike the color it gives off and replacement bulbs are expensive. So I ordered a 30" Finnex planted+. Heard good things so I'm excited to see how it looks. I saw the PAR data Finnex released on it. They used a 24" fixture for the test. At 12" it was showing 61 PAR. With the 30" I ordered, I'm gonna take a stab and say I'm going to be in the low 70's range. The light will sit lower than the coralife fixture and put it at around 11" off of the substrate. I'll post before and after pics for those interested in the Finnex fixtures.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts