The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
It looks like my green hair algae when it first started.
It has grown into this.

Haven't got around to removing yet.
I think your google drive isn't set to allow public viewing, I'm just seeing a "no image" icon there.

If it's hair algae it should be relatively easy to manually remove. I'd remove as much as you are able, and then cut down on how long you have your lights on.

What are the tank inhabitants? Water parameters? What kind of light do you have on the tank, how long is it on for. Does the tank get any sunlight during the day?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Iron? Nah..

Usually it's light/CO2 balance that's the issue if anything. First thing I'd do is reduce light by 20% and see what happens. After that I might bump the CO2 up a bit if my livestock can handle it, again just see what happens.

If it's not those two, start looking at water changes, nutrient levels, maintenance etc etc.

Honestly if you have enough good algae eaters they may solve this issue for you and give you some breathing room in terms of "imbalance".

You can remove this algae easily with a soft toothbrush. It's good to manually remove as much as you can humanly handle. Combine this with a reduction in light. This is a 'reset' to see whether reducing light is effective........... if it comes back just as bad, consider the next possibility............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.