The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have glass tops on my 120 gallon with 4 bulb 48" T5HO lights suspended about 7 inches above. I continually get condensation on the underside which turns into a white film that is very difficult to clean off.

Anyone have any tricks to keeping the glass clean? I've thought of using RainX or something similar but not sure if there are any toxic issues.

Tony

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I think vinegar will do the trick. It will dissolve the calcium and magnesium and other deposits. But you'll have to remove the glass tops to clean.

Why not do away with this glass tops ?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I have plexi tops and when there dirty. I use vinegar like suggested above. It works really good. The reason I have the tops is because my powerheads shot up water and gets onto my bulbs and reflects. I'm guess thats the same reason.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Vinegar and water works for me.

I use glass tops to keep little fingers out of the top and to help reduce evaporation. They also great at keeping the hatchets on the right side of the tank - the inside :) .

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think the question was ... "How to KEEP them Clean" as opposed to how to clean them.

Enquiring mind want to know ...

Rerail.

Best wishes,
Wes
I don't think you can keep them totally clean. I just take mine off and wipe it down while doing the weekly water change. If you do it once a week, it doesn't get nasty.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Only use 100% Distilled Water in your tank. That way no mineral deposits will be left behind when water splashes on the glass then evaporates.

/Please Note: Don't actually do this
Right!!! :alien::icon_excl Don't actually do this ... :eek: but the minerals would leach from the substrate anyway and you're left with the same problem.

Don't use distilled water.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
If it's just for the purpose of keeping fish in the tank, I'd go with Pond Netting. Using the above method above posted by IWANNAGOFAST, I made this top for my ADA 120-P:

Yes it does cut down slightly on the light output (~5% maybe) but nothing dramatic to where you'd need extra lights as long as your lights are suspended/adjustable. In case you're wondering, the netting is not metal and will not rust. It's made out of plastic and super durable. This is where I got mine from: http://www.watergarden.org/s.nl/it.A/id.152/.f

I hated cleaning the glass top and it looked super ugly with all that caked carbonate residue. Now with the netting, I have zero fish loss, and I can dose my ferts straight through the mesh haha. This is how I rig it when doing water changes:
ghetto fabulous but it works perfect haha

·
Registered
736 Posts
Don't use a heater....that way the water temp is the same as the room temp. Much less condensation. My house stays between 72-82 degrees. Still needs a weekly cleaning though.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Cats? Minimize evaporation? Not really sure except I've always had tops, never gave any thought to not having them. Any pros to not having them (other than not having to clean 'em :icon_smil)?
1) Always easy access into your tank.

2) Maintaining dropping water levels do to evaporation all depends on your water changing schedule. The only way to solve that obviously is do them more frequently in smaller amounts.
3) Emergent plants can grow above the waterline.

Plastic fencing would work well I think. It would keep the cats out. This or this on a home built frame
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.