The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a club a few months back for local SE Washington and NE Oregon folks. We have meetings once a month at Finatics Tropical Fish in Kennewick WA. There is now a Facebook group setup for discussion topics and meeting announcements. If you live in the area please check it out.

Tri-Cities Aquatic Hobbyists Facebook group

·
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its been fun! Our turnouts are hit and miss. We've had a big group come in the past, but our last meeting only had a few turn up. I'm hoping it gets better as time goes on. I might ask you for some pointers on how you do it. But being in Seattle gives you more people who might want to join up. We have a much smaller hobbyist community out here on my side of the state :)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi thelub,

It wasn't that long ago that GSAS was in a similar situation. When I joined in '08 we had less than 60 members and the average turnout at a meeting was about 15 or less. We had no cash and no one in the area knew that there was a 35+ yo aquarium club here.

Today we have over 300 members and a typical meeting attendance is 75 or more. We have savings in the bank and an annual budget of about $20K that allows us to bring in speakers like Christal Kasselmann, Ad Konings, Oliver Lucanus, Ian Fuller, and Gary Lange. We are a registered non-profit corporation in the State of Washington although not a 501(C)(3). If you want information on what was done to accomplish the change I am more than willing to share.

·
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's my old stomping grounds. Grew up in Kennewick. On the other side of the state now and not missing that Tri-City weather one bit :D. Cool to see you guys have a club up and running!
If you ever make it over to this side you gotta check out Finatics. Its a great store that is like no-other in the area. We finally have a good fish store! And they're going marine in about a month.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you ever make it over to this side you gotta check out Finatics. Its a great store that is like no-other in the area. We finally have a good fish store! And they're going marine in about a month.
I remember the one in the mall and I think the other was Aqua Tropics or something like that. Glad to hear it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.