The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all
I’ve been having my aquarium for roughly about 3 years now. It was full of live plants and was beautiful but I moved about 1.5 years ago. They unfortunately didn’t survive the move and I took all the precautions. I’ve recently added some new live plants and they’re doing great. So with all that said I’ve been wanting to add moss to cover my substrate. I really like the look of a moss bottom. I was wondering around the yard today walking the dog and I noticed that there’s tons of that beautiful green tree moss and the little tiny ferns all over some of the trees. So my question is can land/tree moss be cleaned,soaked and transplanted in a aquarium?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Good afternoon all
I’ve been having my aquarium for roughly about 3 years now. It was full of live plants and was beautiful but I moved about 1.5 years ago. They unfortunately didn’t survive the move and I took all the precautions. I’ve recently added some new live plants and they’re doing great. So with all that said I’ve been wanting to add moss to cover my substrate. I really like the look of a moss bottom. I was wondering around the yard today walking the dog and I noticed that there’s tons of that beautiful green tree moss and the little tiny ferns all over some of the trees. So my question is can land/tree moss be cleaned,soaked and transplanted in a aquarium?
Short answer is no.

Longer answer is that some moss can grow in an aquatic state for at least a short period of time, but it pretty much looks horrible. If you think java moss is stringy then you haven't seen anything on terrestrial moss grown submersed. Most of it just dies of course.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Short answer is no.

Longer answer is that some moss can grow in an aquatic state for at least a short period of time, but it pretty much looks horrible. If you think java moss is stringy then you haven't seen anything on terrestrial moss grown submersed. Most of it just dies of course.
Thank you for your input I very much appreciate it. I very much like the look of flame moss and Christmas moss. Can either of these be used as a mat to cover the bottom?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Thank you for your input I very much appreciate it. I very much like the look of flame moss and Christmas moss. Can either of these be used as a mat to cover the bottom?
Technically yes, but you either need to wait a very long time or buy a lot of it. Moss generally doesn't want to grab onto substrate and stay put very well. It does much better if you put it on something like stainless steel mesh or fiberglass knitting mesh. Either attached to a single sheet or sandwiched between 2 sheets and then allowed to grow through. If you try to get it to just grow on the bottom by itself it tends to fold itself up into a big ol ball.

Easier to grow proper carpeting plants frankly but I get the appeal of the moss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Technically yes, but you either need to wait a very long time or buy a lot of it. Moss generally doesn't want to grab onto substrate and stay put very well. It does much better if you put it on something like stainless steel mesh or fiberglass knitting mesh. Either attached to a single sheet or sandwiched between 2 sheets and then allowed to grow through. If you try to get it to just grow on the bottom by itself it tends to fold itself up into a big ol ball.

Easier to grow proper carpeting plants frankly but I get the appeal of the moss.
What plants do you recommend as carpeting plants. I don’t have a dirted bottom only gravel. I use to that but did away with all of that when I lost all my plants.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
What plants do you recommend as carpeting plants. I don’t have a dirted bottom only gravel. I use to that but did away with all of that when I lost all my plants.
If you are running injected co2 then you have a wide number available to you. If you are not running injected co2 then your options are more limited. You can get some plants to carpet doing a dry start method where you empty a tank of water and let the plant grow in with only the substrate being wet. Then once its grown in flooding the tank. Other then that it takes a very long time for plants to carpet without co2. Hair grass and/or micro sword is probably the easiest.

Not a true carpet but pearl weed will essentially take over a tank if you let it, but it grows quite tall and won't have that low trim look even if you cut it to half height or so.

If I were dead set on having a carpet in a tank I would either a) do a dry start with hairgrass, or b) invest in pressurized co2. I've done both of these in different tanks and they both work. I've also learned to appreciate a tank with sand substrate and no carpet with only moderate plantings which is how I run 2 of my 3 current tanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are running injected co2 then you have a wide number available to you. If you are not running injected co2 then your options are more limited. You can get some plants to carpet doing a dry start method where you empty a tank of water and let the plant grow in with only the substrate being wet. Then once its grown in flooding the tank. Other then that it takes a very long time for plants to carpet without co2. Hair grass and/or micro sword is probably the easiest.

Not a true carpet but pearl weed will essentially take over a tank if you let it, but it grows quite tall and won't have that low trim look even if you cut it to half height or so.

If I were dead set on having a carpet in a tank I would either a) do a dry start with hairgrass, or b) invest in pressurized co2. I've done both of these in different tanks and they both work. I've also learned to appreciate a tank with sand substrate and no carpet with only moderate plantings which is how I run 2 of my 3 current tanks.
Thank you for all for help and input. I can’t do the dry start method I don’t have another tank to house my fish. I do have some sand on the right side and I’m not running any sort of co2 only dosing excel and flourish. Again thank you for your guidance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.