The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have three goldfish one comet, one shubunkin and one sarasa in a 36 gal bow front aquarium, now with live plants. I had a major water quality issue about three months ago due to failing pumps combined with a section of gravel in the tank that I somehow failed to vacuum efficiently.

This issue was not resolved as quickly as would had wanted because the company Marineland were not helpful when it came to replacing the pumps. They wanted me to send the failed pumps back to them in order for them to test them before they would send me new pumps, and they assured me that my fish would be fine in a tank with no pumps. I told them they were crazy, and after about an hour of arguing they finally agreed to send me new pumps. During this 3 week period I did massive water changes in order to try and combat the build up of toxins, until the new pumps arrived but despite my best efforts the comet got popeye.

I had hoped that once the water was once again in good shape it would resolve itself, it has been almost 3 months and his eyes have not improved or gotten worse. In that time I have also switched over from fake plants to live plants, which has been quite interesting with goldfish. My main question now is what should my next step be in treating the fish. I have been doing extensive research, and I have treated pop eye years ago with great success and don't remember what I did, I also did not have live plants to worry about. Some people have recommenced antibiotics, other aquarium salts, I do not know if he has a secondary infection or not. I do not have a quarantine tank set up due to lack of space but I do have a 6 gal that can be set up if need be. He is still eating good, and acts normal but occasionally he will rest on the bottom with fins clamped, but he does not do so continuously.

My water quality is as follows, Ammonia- 0, Nitrite- 0, Nitrate- about 20 ppm and Ph- 7.4.
The plants in the aquarium are 4 types of buce and one annubias, one echinodorus, hygrophila pinnafida and corymbasa compacta, pogostemon yatabeanus, juncus repens, rotala colorata and ludwigia palustris, crypt. wendettii, beckettii and green gecko, and dwarf seg. I have used salts to great effect to treat a minor fungus issue but do not keep salts in the tank unless treating an ill fish, can I add salts to the tank with these plants and how much.

I know this is a lot of info but I wanted to cover all my bases in order so someone can offer advice more effectively.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
625 Posts
Popeye is pretty difficult to treat. I would try to keep doing 50% water changes twice a week. I have also seen Melafix help provided it is not an internal infection. If you were going to try to treat the fish with epsom salt I would recommend setting up a quarantine tank, even if that is just a rubbermade container. I won't give you a lecture about keeping 3 goldfish in a small tank but would ask that you consider the logistics for the future.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, I have been doing water changes, and will continue to do so.
I am glad saving the lecture, I do 30-40% water changes weekly, have 2 marineland penguin 200 filter on the tank and have owned gold fish and koi for over 11 years, and realize that the tank is smaller then what it should be, but I unfortunately have size constants and this is the largest sized tank I have room for. These fish were out side with one other and two koi in a 250 gal pond, until a raccoon came through and killed all but these 3.

I was unwilling to ever put them back out in the pond so they are now indoors, and until I somehow manage to find room for a larger tank or put them back out doors where they can get eaten this is the best I can do. I have had these fish in that tank for 3 years and this is the first issue I have ever had with water quality.

I went 8 years with out having any issue with raccoon's or birds but 3 years ago they seem to have found my neighborhood and won't leave. Even now that I don't have fish they still come around and rip up the plants. A lot of people have told me that I shouldn't get attached to gold fish and koi cause their nothing more then fodder for wild animals, I tend to disagree, so I would appreciate it if people saved their criticism unless they know the full situation and offered advice for the question at hand.

Bump:
You might give kanaplex a try. Seachem - KanaPlex
Thanks for the advice, I have heard of it but never tired it. On hand I have Melafix, Pirmafix, pond salts and Marycan Two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.