The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to treat ick in a planted tank with out hurting the plants or destroying the bio-filter?

·
Registered
85 Posts
If your fish can handle it heat and salt. Generally 2 weeks of 86 degree water should do it. I have also used maracide??? I have also used those biosheres with minimum damage to my low tech plants.

But you might just want to set up a quaranteen tank and treat them in that with no risk to the plants

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I had a really bad ich outbreak.

Didn't want to kill my plants with too much salt, had neons, and shrimp (both very sensitive to ich treatments), and heating the water just speeds up the cycle of ich, so doesn't kill ich without either a treatment or quite a bit of salt in the water.

I used Jungle Tank Buddies ick treatment tablets. (Half dose for sensitive fish). It took about 3 treatments with 25% water changes between each, but totally took care of the ick and I didn't lose any fish or shrimp. I do recomend using the follow-up fungus tablet treatment as it seemed to help the fish heal up faster.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I can second the Jungle Ich Clear tablets. I've treated two tanks with it and not lost any fish, shrimp or plants. I did half doses, twice a day with 25% water changes between doses. By the third day all spots were gone.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What is the best way to treat ick in a planted tank with out hurting the plants or destroying the bio-filter?
I raised my temp to 80F at Night and it rises to 82-83F during the day. I have black mollies, neon tetras, roseybarbs, tiger barb, rainbows, SAE's, blue rams, rummynose, albino pleco, gold killies, aqautic frogs, parrots, java moss, vals, micrograss, pearl grass, amozon fern, amazon sword,luigia, and a couple of others. No ICK and crystal clear water I need to say that I pefer to keep my temp between 80F-82F

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I keep my water in this particular tank at 78 but my other tanks are at about 82. To be honest I have found most fish can survive in high temp water for a reasonable amount of time but its the plants I'm worried about. I would much rather not destroy any plants. I spent so much time aquascaping this tank it would piss me off to ruin that.
As far as high temp and ick goes, warmer water speeds up the life cycle but ick, in most cases, can not survive in temps above 86.
So what won't hurt my plants or damage my biological filter.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Rid-Ich+ . Used in the concentrations recommend on the bottle your bio filter will remain intact (my experience confirms that on multiple occasions), will rid you of Ich, and will not kill crustaceans. It will hurt some of your plants (crypts in my case) but will not kill them.

As far as I can tell, this is the product that we all should have a bottle of. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Heat works. Anything in the 84+ range for a week or more has done it for me without the use of salt. No harm to the plants with just heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts