The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tank is 29g; plants are all fairly hardy (crypts, amazon sword, water sprite and wisteria, some anubias nana and java moss, java ferns, a red tiger lotus, and sunset hygro) right now I have the heater set to around 84; I've added about 3 teaspoons of salt.

is it safe (for the plants) to add any more salt? the ich doesnt seem to be lessening on the few fish its on (two cherry barbs and a gold pristella tetra).

·
Registered
142 Posts
At 3 tablespoons per 30 gallons, you have added about half the recommended salt for disease treatment. Your plants should be OK with that in the short term of a couple of weeks. I would suggest you also add an ich medication such as Quick Cure. The combination of salt and medication should take out the ich in a week or so at the temperature you have set without harming your plants.

Continue treating for at least 4 days after you no longer see any ich on the fish. Remember, they are only vulnerable to the salt and medication when they have fallen off the fish and are going through reproduction in the water column which takes about 3 days.

Good luck.

Julia

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
A UV sterilizer will help cure your Ich problem within probably 24 hours. The parasite that causes Ich has a larval phase in its life cycle during which it is suspended in the water column. It uses this phase to attach to the victim fish. A sterilizer of the proper wattage attached inline with your filter or attached to a powerhead will kill all of the parasites that are in this phase. Once the parasites on the actual fish die off, there is no way they can re-produce. This also works great for taking care of algae in your water column. When you use a UV sterilizer for Ich you can also increase the temperature in your tank (provided your fish and plants will tolerate it) in order to speed up the life cycle of the parasites on your fish.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just started the high heat treatment with a UV sterilizer on my tank this morning(keeping my temp at 86*). I added some Cardinal Tetras to my tank last week and they popped up with ich this morning. Sucks because the only reason I didnt QT them was because the LFS said they already had. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unfortunately I dont have the money for a UV sterilizer right now; they're rather pricey compared to the cost of salt.

I'll have to look around for some quick cure, as well.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I just started the high heat treatment with a UV sterilizer on my tank this morning(keeping my temp at 86*). I added some Cardinal Tetras to my tank last week and they popped up with ich this morning. Sucks because the only reason I didnt QT them was because the LFS said they already had. Good luck to you!
The LFS QTing them doesn't mean that you shouldn't QT. When LFS says that they QT fish, they just mean that they've been in their tanks for a couple weeks, sharing the same water with most of the fish in the store and being exposed to everything that's in all of the tanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unfortunately I had the same happen to me.
What I did was:
Raise temp
Add recommended dosing of salt
Turn light off
Massive water changes to remove the parasite from water
Added kordon 'organic' Ich treatment.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
The LFS QTing them doesn't mean that you shouldn't QT. When LFS says that they QT fish, they just mean that they've been in their tanks for a couple weeks, sharing the same water with most of the fish in the store and being exposed to everything that's in all of the tanks.

No, this LFS actually QTs their fish before they sell them. And if they get sick they medicate to make sure their healthy before they go up for sale.

They also run under gravel filters and HOBs on each tank to keep them separate so they all dont get contaminated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.