The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been at this WAY too long to not know better, but I purchased some dwarf chain loaches last weekend, didn't QT, and they broke with ich the next morning. They promptly died and a couple neons I had purchased the same day developed a few spots. Since they seemed fine otherwise and my tank is heavily planted and has a vampire shrimp, I opted to just treat it by increasing the temp on the tank. It has been at 86-88 since Monday. As of Wednesday evening, it appeared that the infected fish were starting to clear up, and it hadn't spread to any of the other tank inhabitants. Then it exploded yesterday afternoon. 3 of my celebes rainbows don't have visible spots, but they are the only fish in the tank not afflicted as of this morning. All of the neons are infected now (old and new), some to the point of being nearly white, and they have become considerably less active. My angels are also very obviously stressed (clamped fins, not active, etc).

Again, I certainly know better than to not QT new fish. I've been lucky for several years by just being very careful about where I buy from, but it finally caught up to me. What's done is done, now I'm just at a loss as to how to treat this mess. I haven't had ich in years, I've never had an ich explosion of this magnitude, and I've never had it not respond pretty quickly to the higher temps. Do I need to give the heat more time? Is there a another way to treat this that will be effective but not kill my shrimp (and ideally won't kill the plants)?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
There is one surefire way of killing ich. High temp to reduce the lifecycle to about 3 days. Shorter is better as it means it is a shorter period of discomfort for your fish. Gradually add aquarium salt until you reach 1 tsp /gal (divide it in 5 and put in in one fifth on the hour). Technically this should be enough to kill the ich when they start free swimming. If your tank is handling it well, you can add another 1tsp/gal in 4-hourly intervals (i.e. slowly). Observe fish for discomfort. Keep the salt concentration there for a minimum of 3 days after you see no more visible white spots on the fish. Don't do it half-assed. Once you start continue with this single treatment, don't mix treatments.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Can you remove the shrimp to another tank for 4 days?
Ich needs a host, its only host is fish. If you can keep the shrimp in another tank they will be clean and ready to put back into the tank once you brought the salt levels down again. You are now already dealing with the second wave of the ich. A single stomont can divide into 2000. Don't waste time, decide what you want to save the most.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting the shrimp out would literally involve tearing down the entire tank given the way it is planted/decorated. There are spots he can hide and not be seen for weeks if he wants to. If that's my only option, I guess I'll have to do it, but I was hoping there was an effective treatment that was invert safe.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
What type of shrimp is it? Have you checked if they can tolerate salt?
Heat although fatal to ich, may not always work, as a single parasite finding a cool spot is all it takes to start it all off again, on now weakened fish.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You can also move the fish if they are easier to catch... use what ever treatment you want in their hospital tank (or tanks if you have small tanks)... leave the display tank alone with the heat as is for a week... should kill all the ich in there since there are no more hosts, and then return your fish once the treatment is complete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.