The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this betta, and have him in a 2gal spec- cycled and planted. I recently had a heck of a time catching him- and wrongly reverted to a net and tore one of his fins. It seems a bit swollen, but does not seem to bother him- eats and swims vigorously!

So then I started dosing Maracyn Plus that says it works with fin rot, as well as bacterial issues. I forgot to remove the carbon from filter and only realized a week into the treatment that I had not removed the carbon.

So I have been treating him 5 of the 7 treatment days, and usually with other fish I have had, they clear up, and look good by now, and he has not.

Any suggestions on a different meds? The tank has been cycled for a year with other fish, then he was placed in as only occupant. Steady ph (API liquid test kit 7.2), and 74 temp, so any suggestions are helpful!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Do not use Melafix for Anabantoids.
Since you know the injury is just that, an injury, and not an infection, I would 'treat' this with simply changing the water a bit more so there is lower nitrates, and lower bacteria level so there are not enough organisms to enter the injury and infect it.
Salt may help, some, but it is not actually needed, and not great for the plants.

Raise the temperature some. Bettas are better in warmer water, as long as Columnaris is not a problem. Columnaris grows better in water 76*F+. The Betta's metabolism will be higher when the temperature is higher, so he can heal the fin faster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.