The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found quite a few types of plants in my creeks and stock pond here on the ranch, that look promising as aquarium plants. I would like to send them to a couple people for positive ID and then trade them in the Swap N Shop. Before I do that, I'd feel more comfortable treating them somehow, dipping them, to make sure I don't pass on something nasty. What's the best way to do that? Bleach water? Hydrogen peroxide? Potassium permaganate? All three? What strength of each should I use (as in "X" parts of each added to "X" parts of water)? How long should I submerse the plants in each?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would suggest taking pics of them before sending them.

Also, just do a search for bleach dip and that will answer your question.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I had a camera good enough to take ID pictures. (I miss my Nikon! *sniff*) I've already taken pictures of some and they didn't turn out so well ~ see my hairgrass ID thread in this same forum. So, I figured it'd be cheaper to mail some out to a few people ($15 plus some time) than to buy a new Nikon ($400+). By next year I hope to have another camera that's good for macro shots.

Bleach dip is good for every kind of nasty out there? I thought there were some it didn't get. I hope it's that easy!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I dunno, I still think its going to be hard to 'sell' them or send them when we cant see what they even look like. How bad is your current camera?

I bet you just need more light to take better photos.
What camera do you currently have?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, look at my hairgrass thread and you'll see what I'm talking about. Pictures taken with the camera are posted there. It's not so bad that you can't see health or quantity/quality of the plants. Just so bad that you can't see fine details like minute definition of blooms. And no, it's not just needs more light ~ the camera's an ancient Samsung 3.2mp Digimax 301 that's been beaten up more than my ranch truck. I'm shocked it's still going when my Nikon's bit the dust.:icon_cry: Once I get an accurate ID, I don't think I'll have any problems trading/selling them ~ lots of things are traded/sold with sub-par photos in the Swap and Shop along with botanical latin names.

I know you're trying to help, Retoid, but I've already thought all this out and this isn't helping me with what I need via this thread. Have you had experience dipping plants in bleach? How long did you do it for? What balance of bleach vs. water did you use in the solution? That's the kind of info I need right now so I don't inadvertently give someone something they definitely don't want. :biggrin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Go to aquabotanic.com they have a page on disinfecting plants,including bleach. Not the best in my books due to plant damage. Alum is very good for some things. Many other choices there. Good luck with your collecting. Have you found any moss? I am looking for one that can take our centex heat!! Bill

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Wamblee! :) After reading the page on Aquabotanic.com, I did a little more Googling on Potassium permanganate and found two great articles about it.
Article One
Article Two
Sounds like that will be what I'll use. According to those two sites, it kills not only snails and bacteria but algae as well. Perfect! It'll get ALL the nasties I'm worried about. :biggrin:

Nope, haven't found any moss yet. Of course I'm not done looking either. ;) It's just spring ~ hopefully I'll find more goodies popping up come warmer weather.

Hey, did you get any snow this past weekend? My sons and their wives live in Copperas Cove and one of them said they got almost six inches of snow. Yikes!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Glad you found what you were looking for. Loved the snow but not the timing. People in temple are only today geting their power back up. Have you though of letting people collect plants & holey Rocks for a fee. You live in a nice part of texas & many people are within driving distance of you. You could Give guided tours for a fee. Just an idea. Anyway keep me posted on the plants you find. Bill

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ack! No power? Bummer! I used to not mind it when the power went out in cold snaps, but that was when I had a wood stove instead of central heat. ;)

I don't have any holey rocks on the ranch, darnit! I had to trade some terrestrial plants for some when I wanted to put some by one of the front gates out here. And I haven't really thought of charging a fee to let people come hunt them since I don't want to upset the ecosystems out here by taking too many things out of them. I figure if I find anybody who wants some, I'll just get them myself and trade/sell/give them some. If they're a good buddy, someone I know is responsible and won't take too many from any one spot, I'll just let them go hunt them for nothing.

I'll keep you posted ~ especially if I find a good, heat tolerant moss, though I doubt I will since the creek area is naturally air conditioned from the springs. The temperature difference between the open pasture and under the tree canopy by the creek can be a good 20 degrees in summer easily, and maybe more. It never seems to get really hot down by the creek.

Say, are you good at plant ID? If so, I can fix you up a box to send in return for letting me know correct botanical latin names for them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jungle's Clear Water

I know it mentions it somewhere in one of the links, but in case anyone wanted a quick answer, using Jungle's "Clear Water" product, which contains Potassium Permanganate, is a good dip for disinfecting your plants, and supposedly is effective after a relatively short 15 minute dip.

See the link below from the Krib for more info:
http://faq.thekrib.com/plant-qa.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ack! No power? Bummer! I used to not mind it when the power went out in cold snaps, but that was when I had a wood stove instead of central heat. ;)

I don't have any holey rocks on the ranch, darnit! I had to trade some terrestrial plants for some when I wanted to put some by one of the front gates out here. And I haven't really thought of charging a fee to let people come hunt them since I don't want to upset the ecosystems out here by taking too many things out of them. I figure if I find anybody who wants some, I'll just get them myself and trade/sell/give them some. If they're a good buddy, someone I know is responsible and won't take too many from any one spot, I'll just let them go hunt them for nothing.

I'll keep you posted ~ especially if I find a good, heat tolerant moss, though I doubt I will since the creek area is naturally air conditioned from the springs. The temperature difference between the open pasture and under the tree canopy by the creek can be a good 20 degrees in summer easily, and maybe more. It never seems to get really hot down by the creek.

Say, are you good at plant ID? If so, I can fix you up a box to send in return for letting me know correct botanical latin names for them.
Sorry I was away so long. Busy!! Busy!! I might be able to id some plants,but you know growth in the wild sometimes is very different from what we get in the tank. Maybe your library could get you books on texas plants. The only ones I have deal with Texas cacti. If you would like to send me some plants I would be more than happy to try to id them,both as found in nature & after growing in tanks. I have 2, I would like to set up & I could use one for the natives. I was getting ready to order some hairgrass anyway. Have you id this for sure? Let me know & I will send you the postage. Bill

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now it was me away for a while again. ;) I've searched online, at the TPWD site even, and still I'm not sure. So, no, I don't know what hairgrass these are for sure. Would you like some anyway? It'll be a little while before I can send them out ~ I need to get some potassium permanganate to treat them with before I send them out and then find time to go harvest them. PM me your address and I'll keep it 'til they're ready ~ maybe a month or so? That should give you plenty of time to set up that extra tank! LOL!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I wouldn't. I think it does more harm than good. As long as they don't have nasties like dragonfly larvae I don't see what the problem is.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, they very well may have dragonfly larvae, Mr. B, since we have a lot of them around. And I'd bet the ranch they'd be carrying hair algae. I put a rock from the creek in one of my tanks without disinfecting it (I had left it out to dry) and within days saw hair algae growth that soon turned into an infestation. Thank GOD for cherry shrimp! LOL! Plus, I don't know enough about aquariums yet to know what kinds of things that live in a creek or stock pond would wreck an aquarium, so figured better safe than sorry, kwim? It's good to hear that you don't think there would be much that would pose a problem.

You do raise a good point about damage to the plants from the treatment. I'd read that some disinfecting treatments screw them up pretty badly, so planned on using the experience of sending out to a few people in exchange for IDs as a "dry run" to see how the plants did through all the shock of uprooting, treatment, shipping, etc. Then I'd know more what I could do to solve or lessen any problems. And I'd fine tune my shipping knowledge ~ I've shipped terrestrial plants and pond plants successfully before, but not aquarium plants, so could use a bit of practice before a trade or someone else's money depends on it.

So taking the possibility of dragonfly larvae and probability of thick, healthy hair algae, do you still think I should dip them? Or maybe I could let people know the origins of the plants and let them decide on me dipping or not? Given my lack of experience, I honestly don't know so do appreciate your input. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Here's the thing about algae. It will get in the tank no matter what you do. You can try to dip every plant and sterilize the whole tank, but algae will get in. Algae won't grow when plants are growing at their best. Algal spores are in the air, on everything.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the hair algae I got probably wasn't from the rocks? I've been reading more on the forum and read that maybe it was from the tank just being new? Well, I'm learning something new every day. ;) Maybe I'll just get some of the potassium permanganate and give people the option of having me dip them or not, letting them know where they came from and how much damage the dip does. Sounds like that would be the best way of making the most people happy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
native texas plants

camp (linda?)

im going to be doing the same thing this yr
hitting the local creeks and lakes and see what i can find also :)
LOL from what i understand there a ton of native aquatic plants in texas that are perfectly safe for aquariums...
let ya know what i find :)

heres a link to a page i found on the net on texas aquatic plants

www.tapms.org/aquatic plants of texas2.pdf

amy
garland tx

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool site, Amy! (Yes, my name's Linda. :) ) Let's definitely stay in touch and share info on what we find. I'd love that! :biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts