The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I was reading about treating/quarantining feeder fish. I intend on keeping Rosy Red Minnows and guppies as pets, but I would be buying from a LFS. Now I know these little feeder fish are often put under horrendous conditions and are most likely infected with some sort of fungus, bacterial infection or parasites. After reading about a bunch of different medication I am just really confused. I would like to keep them as pets and let them breed so people in the area can purchase them eventually as a healthy, disease free meal for their carnivorous fish (it seems that it is a big hassle to find feeder fish that are potentially not dangerous to their little carnivores and many deem that it is not worth raising feeder fish.)

The methods I have read about so far:
1. Melafix, Pimafix and raising the temperature
2. Aquarium Salt and raising the temperature
3. Do nothing and wait for 4 weeks

I so far have Kordon Rid Ich+ which "controls Ich, a wide range of external protozoan and fungal diseases".

Are Paraguard and Rid Ich+ the same thing? Do Melafix and Pimafix have the same effect as Paraguard or Rid Ich+? Do these treat internal parasites? If not what should I get to treat them?

If there is a thread that will thoroughly answer all my questions please let me know.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I have purchased feeder guppies as pets. You are right to believe that they are usually not healthy to start with. I usually start them with prazipro right away if I see any flashing which I always do. I don't treat for anything else unless symptoms are visible. I never buy fish with visible ich or fin rot or white body parts or pinecone scales. Melafix and pimafix are good for early signs of fin rot or fungus or red streaks. Observe the fish closely before purchase. Feed quality food. (New life spectrum with garlic) keep the water conditions pristine. They usually will breed after that and colors will be bright and beautiful. You may not want to use them all as feeders after that. Good luck.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I have purchased feeder guppies as pets. You are right to believe that they are usually not healthy to start with. I usually start them with prazipro right away if I see any flashing which I always do. I don't treat for anything else unless symptoms are visible. I never buy fish with visible ich or fin rot or white body parts or pinecone scales. Melafix and pimafix are good for early signs of fin rot or fungus or red streaks. Observe the fish closely before purchase. Feed quality food. (New life spectrum with garlic) keep the water conditions pristine. They usually will breed after that and colors will be bright and beautiful. You may not want to use them all as feeders after that. Good luck.
This is pretty much the approach I take, as well.

Drs F&S's website has a decent fish medication guide: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?N=2004&aid=1338

I'd be really careful about liability issues if you start selling your feeders to the public rather than hobbyist friends. Don't guarantee them as disease/parasite free or anything like that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I could just sell the feeder fish under the pretense that they can use them for whatever reason they want and not specifically as feeder fish. Thanks for the advice lauraleellbp! The medication link is great too.

@amxcoffeegirl I see, I'll keep an eye out for all the weird stuff like pinecone scales and such. I'm so new to fish keeping I didn't even think about it haha

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts