The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any correlation between treating for fungus and having ich appear a few days later? Nothing has changed in my tank (temp etc. )

The weather here has recently chilled but my tank is heated and I haven't noticed a temp difference when I can check it, though I do not get up late at night to check this. The room gets chilly at night as well but the heat is running in the apartment. That being said, I noticed the other day that one of my curviceps had a fungus around his eye. I treated with jungle fungus tabs because they were safe for my planted tank and the only thing I could get my hands on at wal mart late at night. I didn't want to use methylene blue for obvious reasons which is the only other thing I had on hand besides an inadequate quantity of maroxy. 4 days later I went to do my water change and my flame rasboras had ich. I looked even harder and it looked as if some of my other fish had some on them but it was so miniscule, I may have been freaking myself out. I know that fungus is a secondary infection so would it have been secondary to ich that was already there? I introduced new fish about 2 weeks ago but those fish were fine after quarantine.

When I brought home the curviceps, I realized that I had inadvertently picked up a jewel cichlid. It must have come in with the shipment of curviceps as the jewel cichlid tanks are not even in the same aisle in the store. I just grabbed 4 as quick as I could and the next day I noticed I had a jewel. he was promptly removed but he did do some damage to my fish. That's where I think the fungus came in, secondary to the injury.

Anyway, I started with the quick cure yesterday. I also did a water change before treatment and thoroughly cleaned my eheim and substrate. I also raised my temps and added more oxygen for the treatment period.

Any correlation between fungus and ich? How treating for one can bring on the other? I haven't had ich in my tanks for a very long time and I don't even think it was ever in this tank. I understand it is usually in most fish environments but does not attack the fish unless they are stressed, usually by a temperature change. I was just curious as the only real change was the fungus tab treatment.

Thanks!
Mandi

·
Registered
888 Posts
Mandi, new fish are often carriers of various diseases. They will not show any symptoms nor will there be any parasites visible. Your new fish are the culprits to the introduction of ich. The stress done by your jewel to the fish as well serves as a pathway to the succumbing of your fish to ich. Pls note that ich will not appear until your fish becomes stressed.

Use salt when combatting both ich and fungus. Salt serves as an antiseptic for the fish and will kill fungus. Fortunately, both ich and fungus are quite vulnerable to salt so salt is the best way to go. Meanwhile maintain a high temperature with increased oxygenation to eliminate the ich. Do not try to do anything which will stress the fish as they are very likely to succumb to both diseases combined. And yes, fungus is a secondary condition to injury but not ich. Ich came from another route which as I have ruled out is the introduction of new fish without quarantining them(unless you mentioned about it) and the stress done by your jewel cichlid.

HTH
Bluebell

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.