The Planted Tank Forum banner

Treasure chest in 29 Biocube?

1307 5
My 29 Biocube saltwater setup looks halfway nice to me, but I think it needs some tweaking. I walked by a bead shop the other day, and it gave me an idea. That idea is, I'll get a small, old-fashioned wooden chest, bang a couple of holes in the sides, and coat it in some kind of acrylic.
Then I'll fix a platform of some kind into it, making it only about 1 3/4" deep, and put white sand on it. I'll then find some realistic 'sunken treasure' decor, maybe some gem-like stones too, coat them in acrylic, and arrange them in it so it looks like the chest just sunk. I'll then place the rockwork around it and add some more treasure around the chest.
The idea is to make it look like it just sunk there and has been there for a while. I'd place some corals on and around it, and get a few more snails so they can keep it mostly algae-free. Yes, that's possible, especially when you have a tuxedo urchin.
I was thinking that I'd also find a small pistol shrimp, put him in the chest itself, and let him burrow under the treasure. I could partner him with something little and bright, like an antennae goby.
Do you think this could work without looking fake? Any ideas? Any imput on what acrylic to use as a clearcoat?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
My 29 Biocube saltwater setup looks halfway nice to me, but I think it needs some tweaking. I walked by a bead shop the other day, and it gave me an idea. That idea is, I'll get a small, old-fashioned wooden chest, bang a couple of holes in the sides, and coat it in some kind of acrylic.
Then I'll fix a platform of some kind into it, making it only about 1 3/4" deep, and put white sand on it. I'll then find some realistic 'sunken treasure' decor, maybe some gem-like stones too, coat them in acrylic, and arrange them in it so it looks like the chest just sunk. I'll then place the rockwork around it and add some more treasure around the chest.
The idea is to make it look like it just sunk there and has been there for a while. I'd place some corals on and around it, and get a few more snails so they can keep it mostly algae-free. Yes, that's possible, especially when you have a tuxedo urchin.
I was thinking that I'd also find a small pistol shrimp, put him in the chest itself, and let him burrow under the treasure. I could partner him with something little and bright, like an antennae goby.
Do you think this could work without looking fake? Any ideas? Any imput on what acrylic to use as a clearcoat?
I don't imagine you would have to coat the fake jewels/gems, as they would probably be plastic, glass, or crystal. I tend to like epoxy for coating things.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I don't know the brands off hand. either go to a hardware store and check around the varnish/lacquer section, or go to a craft store and check around the casting/sculpting section. It should be a 2-part kit, and a lot of times it's advertised for making things like pour-on bar/table tops. A lot of times it will say something like "equal to 50 coats of varnish" or somesuch. I think some names might be something like Envirotex lite, pour-on, etc. make sure it's epoxy, stay away from any sort of fiberglass/polyester resin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.