The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody done it? I was mulling over two options: We are now allowed to take 100ml of liquid on airplanes, so I could put the Cherries in a jar to get through the security gate and then once on the plane, I would ask for water and put them in a bigger bag. Or I could pack them in a sturdy case and put them in my checked baggage. 5 hour flight. Do you think it's feasible?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Step 1: Call the aircraft carrier and explain your intentions. Some carriers have regulations like "no live plants or animals" but others might not. If you get the OK keep a record of date, number and contact name to show at the terminal (calling the terminal is also a good idea). Do not carry more $$$ than you can risk losing.

Step 2: See step 1 above.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I would use a Kordon breather bag (http://www.goodeids.com/article167.html - be sure to click on the pdf to view the whole article) in your carry-on. I have a friend who has done this before with good luck. Make sure to leave lots of space around the bag for air to diffuse, and maybe open your carry-on when you get on the plane to allow a fresh breath of air.

Checked baggage isn't heated, so unless you put them in a cooler, I wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yeah, that's an idea. If you insulate in some sort of styrafoam box and find a way to keep it cool (cold pack?) that would probably be the best option. They assume anyone with a toothpick, stick of deoderant and glass of toothpaste a terrorist. Not everyone is a McGyver.
Good luck with transport, if that's what you end up doing :)

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
You think keeping it cool would be the problem? I figured it'd get TOO cold, and you'd have to keep it warm. Especially in checked baggage.

I dunno, I'm always freezing on planes. I always seem to end up sitting next to "That Guy" who likes to blast the AC 100% right in his face. Bleach.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Call first and see if you can works something out. If not just try smuggleing them.

When I was a teen ager I smuggled a mouse on board in a water bottle used for sport drinks. I walked throught the metal detector with it.

I would put them in a baggie and with just enough water to get by and hide them on my body in a coat pocket or something.

If they catch you I doubt they would do much but who knows nowadays.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Just a note, if you use regular bags and not breather bags, make sure to leave room for the air inside the bag to expand. Otherwise the pressure difference when you get some altitude could cause the bag to pop. Water doesn't expand like air does, so breather bags with no air won't have this problem. They also are incredibly stretchy anyways.

Disclaimer: We at planted tank do not condone smuggling of any sort. ;)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I flew from Detroit to SF with large goldfish in my luggage. Big doubled bags, lots of air (couldn't get pure oxygen), packed tight into a cooler. Label it appropriately IF your airline says you can pack fish. (I'd say fish. Even though they aren't.) If your airline says no--and make clear you're putting it in the LUGGAGE when you ask, because some airlines won't let you put them with the dogs/cats but don't care about luggage--then don't label on the outside and pretend you didn't know. Just label "fragile". Label properly on the INSIDE for the TSA, and ask them to retape the cooler. Of course that's flying within the US.

You could probably mail them to yourself.

If you're crossing provincial or national lines, there may be some concerns. State-wise though, there's no ag inspection requirements at airports except for Hawaii. Only the feds look at your stuff and they aren't the USDA--jut TSA. Non-explodey shrimp are fine!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
or, you could ship them to your destination and forget about the whole plane ordeal. i think it's worth 4.05$ to not go through the hassle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
... and also put some java moss on it so the shrimp had something to cling on during their journey:)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I've done it a few times before with small non-aggressive reptiles. I just go into the bathroom, stuff them down my pants, go through security and then into another bathroom. No Problem.:eek:
Excuse me sir is that a snake in your pants?

Or are you just happy to see me?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Darn, Taz, you beat me to it :D!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.