The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be moving cross-country [2200 miles, so I estimate a week at most] in a little over a month and was wondering about the best mode of transport for a colony of RCS.

I'd estimate I have a colony of ~50 shrimp of various ages. I do have people at the receiving end who can pick up a package, but I doubt they have the skill to build a setup for them.

If I'm driving them, being able to safely fit them into a car is also a concern.

Any suggestions or advice would be muchly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
15,266 Posts
Buy a couple battery-powered air pumps. They range from $5-$15 for decent ones. Depending on temperature, you may want to invest in some heat packs to have just in case.

You won't have as many problems as you're anticipating. Cherries are crazy hardy.

For instance: Last December I left a bucket in a basement storage unit with some Aqua Soil and maybe a couple inches of water. Went back to get it in March and found a few cherries living happily.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Even crystals can be hardy sometimes. I decided to ditch the plants in my tank except for mosses and floating plants and decided to throw them all in a plastic shoe tote with a bit of water till I decided if I could find something else to plant them in or what to do with them. 5 days later, the wife is picking through the tote and is like there is a shrimp in here. Found a black crystal like S or S+ grade wandering around in the bottom of the tote. lol.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had shrimp in the mail for 6-7 days in kordon bags that did just fine. Yes, even the oh so delicate Taiwan Bees. Depending on size of the shrimp and the bag you can pack 2-3 shrimp per bag. Pack them in an insulated box and try to keep them out of direct sunlight. Also, and this is very important... DO NOT pack any plants or food in with them or it'll rot and kill everything. A small chunk of sponge for them to hang onto for the journey will be your best choice. I've done this successfully and for longer periods more times than I can count, but try not to go beyond the 6-7 day mark.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
2-3 shrimp per bag? That's a lot of bags... I put maybe 50 blue pearls in larger breather bags when I moved mine to school. They did just fine...

You're fine just putting them in breather bags with some moss (moss won't rot away that fast...) for them to cling to. Maybe add a pinch of purigen to soak up any waste.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
mail your shrimp ahead of time, make sure the box can sit in a cool room, and don't worry about it. I wouldn't bring them in the car with you while you're moving, that would be kinda goofy and the temperature would change a lot between day and night, etc.

·
Registered
556 Posts
mail your shrimp ahead of time, make sure the box can sit in a cool room, and don't worry about it. I wouldn't bring them in the car with you while you're moving, that would be kinda goofy and the temperature would change a lot between day and night, etc.
Plus 1, send them over by mail first and leave them in the bag in a cool room. They should be fine in there for over a week or more. Just don't cram all of them in one bag split them up in 3 bags just in case something goes wrong in one bag you will still have shrimps.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Ever consider just selling the colony and buying a new one when you arrive?

With new parameters, the shrimp won't breed for a month or so either way.

Breather bags are king. Foam insulated boxes, double or triple layer are all you need.

I'd break the group into four breathers, mixed males/females.

Where you moving to? People on this forum might accept a box of shrimp and qt them for you. Then you pickup the colony which acclimated to the water. I'd do that if you were moving to Long Island New York. +Karma!

-Gordon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts