The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my special cardboard box that is the right size to fit my bags from the LFS in and I can buckle the box into my passenger seat. Do any of you have a homemade carrier contraption or do they sell them? There must be a system for this...

·
Registered
171 Posts
The last time I moved I used a 5 gallon bucket with water, but if I am picking up fish from a seller that bags the fish exactly what Latchdan and Bushkill said a styrofoam ice chest works well, I also have a cardboard box that is lined with 2 inch styrofoam that I use. (came with a winter online fish purchase) Anything with insulation that will slow the change of temperature of the water will work. If air temperatures are between 65 and 80 there is no need to take such drastic measures, but we are all over cautious! Good luck.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ditto on the ice chest. I also use a towel to help secure the bag(s) in place so no rolling around occurs. Usually running the car A/C full blast here when I get fish and it is at least 45 mins from store to house. I actually carry the container into the store and place the bag(s) into it after purchase. In a pinch, my wife makes an excellent fish bag holder and transport device.:grin2:

Reactions: Teebo

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was almost more worried about the bags rolling around, and being able to keep them snug. Having a passenger hold the bags seems like the best solution for stability, all that motion just seems like it would stress them out more than a slow temperature change. I live where there are a lot of potholes too, and the roads are not very smooth so I feel bad every time I buy fish.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I was almost more worried about the bags rolling around, and being able to keep them snug. Having a passenger hold the bags seems like the best solution for stability, all that motion just seems like it would stress them out more than a slow temperature change. I live where there are a lot of potholes too, and the roads are not very smooth so I feel bad every time I buy fish.
The roads near where I live in the great Commonwealth of Pennsyltucky have been under various states of decay, construction, and destruction for the 30+ years I've lived here. It won't change anytime soon. So I agree 100% on giving the fish more of a fighting chance by not putting them through a blender in trying to get a fish bag to hold still in your car. The styrofoam chest I have is a great shape for keeping it stored in the trunk of the car. It's rectangular and tucks away in the back of the trunk perfectly. The shape keeps a fish bag upright perfectly in the back seat. Laying the bag down causes quite a "tidal wave effect" on the bag contents.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose I need a really small cooler then, I buy small fish/shrimp in small bags, they are so small I would need something to use the extra space. I will find a mini cooler to use, I drive a pickup truck though so my buddies stay with me in the cab on the passenger seat. I have been known to drive with 1 hand before holding the bag with the other in my lap lol not the best idea but it was stable.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Don't know about where you live, but even the dollar store sells little Styrofoam coolers (not very thick, but better than nothing). Or get a little (one person) cooler (probably not worth the cost though). Just ask your fish store if they could give you any Styrofoam box the get from shipments and they should give it to you for free. Or all are too large, just pack in with newspaper, bubble wrap, Styrofoam filling or air pouches. Or just make your own box, cutting up cardboard to give the box form then cutting up Styrofoam sheets to line the inside of the box.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The one I have is 17X11X10. I can stand two medium bags up in it and I don't have to buckle it up. It comes from Jehmco when I order bulk frozen foods.

If you order frozen fish food in the cube packs, I'm pretty sure they come in a cooler that about 1/2 that length. But it would be cheaper to just drift through Wally World and see what they have for a few bucks.

Bump: I like the LFS idea. The bigger fish styros as Waterlife suggested are even bigger than the one I keep. But I would bet the LFS get frozen foods delivered in odd-sized styros like the one I have. Worth asking. Any LFS will give away styros. The build-your-own idea's really cool too. Styrofoam is just about everywhere. Just cut to need.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
meh dont overthink it so much. You think that level of care was considered when some fish farm boxed up hundreds of fish and threw them in a cooler which was then jockeyed around and jostled by who knows how many different hands as it went from store, to truck, to another vehicle, to a plane back to a ground vehicle back to a different carrier and eventually delivered to the store?

That being said, I do keep a cooler (plastic/hard sided just like you'd bring to the beach) in my car for just this purpose. If its winter time, I'll keep that open n the passenger side footwell and keep my heat on with the vents down low. In summertime I'll usually just shut the cooler. If the cooler is bigger than your bag of fish just use anything to take up the space. A balled up t-shirt, paper towels, a small cardboard box etc.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have the solution for you!

Here is a basic style fish carrier:

This fish carrier is much more stylish:

And here is a fish carrier backpack! For when you want to do something hands-free, like jogging:

That was a JOKE! ;)

As for serious matters, here is an actual account of someone who went traveling with their Rabbit Snails, and photos of how it was done: Rabbit Snails - Traveling with Snails

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exactly, all that transportation then they think they are done, to only hit the road again may be stressful thinking they are in for a long journey again, no way of knowing how long they have had a chance to chill out at the store.

hahaha, what cruel products are these! :D

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am moving from MA to FL, so everything has to go....I returned my fish and have broken most of my tanks down. I will be bringing containers full of plants with me of course, and the only living things I will be transporting will be my inverts. I have some prized Sakura RCS I bred myself, I have 8 of my best hulls out of 1000 or so and I want to take them with me. So far this is what I have come up with, I bought one of these Rubbermaid BRILLIANCE containers that claim to be leak-proof and highly transparent to monitor my shrimp. I figured the best route to go is filling this container with Java Moss and tank water, so they have something to really hold onto during the drive. Will take me 2 days and I will stop overnight somewhere along the way so I can open the container for air exchange every 12 hours. Filling it as high as possible will help from sloshing around inside as well.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I also use a small cooler and if it's in winter, I'll add a ziplock bag of warm water to act as a heat pack, ensuring any stock stays warm on the ride home....no matter the distance.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Filling the container full for snails may be okay but I would point out that it is not the way to go for moving fish. With fish filling the bag less than half way gives them much more air space. If that is not enough space for the fish to swim upright, get a bigger bag! When moving a single fish and the styro is far too big, I like to add more bags of water as they also work to moderate any temperature changes.
But for the simple ride home, I find a bag standing in a bucket and covered to keep the light out is good enough. I always have several towels to tuck around whatever number of bags I have.

·
Registered
431 Posts
As others have mentioned Styrofoam boxes strapped in the front seat with the seat belt. Most primary care physicians receive samples in Styrofoam boxes. The vast majority are thrown away. My clinic is always happy to give them away, they are very thick walled and perfect for what we need.

So you are keeping one out of the landfill and utilizing it for a better cause. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.