The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mr aqua 6 gallon long that is a high tech tank, i want to convert it to a low tech tank because im going to put the co2 in my 22 gal long. Whats the best way to transition it, should i just go cold turkey, as in no more co2 less light less nutrients, or should i ease it down? I do have excel that i plan on using still

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have dhg belem, staurogyne repens, blyxa japonica, lobella cardinallis, hygrophillia pinnatifida, ranculus indulata, and some other short stem plant. The dhg is pretty much carpeted as much as i want so if the growth slows down its ok

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can probably reduce the light intensity down to about 40 PAR, and reduce the CO2 concentration because the lower light intensity slows the plant growth rate, but if you try low light and no CO2 those high light plants will just stop growing, algae will move in, and your tank will be a mess, to say the least. Plants that require high light, and CO2, just don't survive well without high light and CO2. Excel helps, but is a poor substitute for CO2 when the plants need CO2.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hey JoseRivera ,

I've recently gone through a similar process as you describe. Here is what I found worked/did not work in my case.

Try not to uproot any plants that you want to keep in that aquarium. It is easier for them to adapt if they have a good root system from which to draw resources.

Cold turkey and dim turkey work best for a short time. CO2 complete stop. I've kept my high light but strongly reduced the light duration. In addition I allowed the floating plants to cover part of the surface. Then just slowly adjust the amount of plants removed to control light distribution.

If you have a nutritious substrate, ADA Aquasoil in my case, you can limit the column dosing for a week or until you notice plant problems

And maybe the most important part ( at least for me it was) dramatically reduce the plant biomass. I do not mean leave it empty but be aware that a non CO2 fertilized aquarium will not be able to sustain the same plant density. Plants will start to outcompete with each other and some will die.

In this most recent trial, the plants that had little problem were staurogyne repens,hygrophillia pinnatifida, small patches of HC cuba, Bacopa. Althernathera was a little hurt but bounced back.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for all the help guys, i reduced photo period from 7 hrs to 4, im dosing excel, i use to dose ei method, should i do half doses or 1/4 doses?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am eventually going to take this tank down and move all the inhabitants into my 22, im just waiting for it to cycle

·
Registered
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,326 Posts
Why don't you just wait until your new tank is ready then transfer everything over? I would not even deal with going to low tech if you're gonna tear it down anyways...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why don't you just wait until your new tank is ready then transfer everything over? I would not even deal with going to low tech if you're gonna tear it down anyways...
Thanks for the suggestion, its because i filled in my other tank and now am using the co2 for that, im waiting for my filter to cycle before i switch the fish over

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, its because i filled in my other tank and now am using the co2 for that, im waiting for my filter to cycle before i switch the fish over
Have you thought about recycling some of the mulm and loose organic debris from the 6g to the 22g as a way to help speed up seeding the new tank's biological cycle?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts