The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having difficulty locating information specific to tips for moving crypts from submerged to emersed. Does anyone have any links or information concerning this subject that they could share?

I have a Crypt Nurii in a small pot filled with aquasoil and a clay mixture. I have this pot submerged in the top of my aquarium so that the roots are in the water but the rhizome and leaves are exposed to the air. With that said, it is exposed to the 7hr/day lighting cycle that is used for the tank as well. Is this ample lighting? Am I headed in the right direction?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have not been successful in crypts out of the water. I had one that did fairly well and grew new leaves but after a few weeks they died back. I have had luck with Anubias though, basically planted as you described your crypt is planted, roots in the water, leaves out.

good luck

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The air may not be humid enough for the leaves. Usually they are grown in a covered container so the humidity is close to 100% and gradually reduced. Even when fully acclimated, they don't like dry, open air.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
There's really nothing to it. I have some Crypt. wendtii and Crypt parva in my emersed setup and they grow just fine. Soil is a good substrate.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
It looks like gowers keep the soil completely saturated with water and only the plant leaves and the base of the plant are emersed from this very wet soil, most I've seen are in large building with very high humidity, according to Florida Aquatic Nurseries Crypt melt is not something the plant suffers from emersed and you should see some very strong plants with a different leaf structure/shape and nice flowers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.