The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving my RCS to a new (larger) home. Got some of the plants transferred already. Everything looks good and is already growing. Time for the big move.

Anyone got any suggestions? I have RCS in all sizes (from 1.5mm or so to 2cm).

I used to siphon small fish fry into a bucket/cup for transfer, but I don't think that exoskeletoned animals would appreciate this as much.

Brine shrimp net? I would prefer to transfer as little of the detritus from their current home to the new one.

I thought about removing the remaining plants and just dumping them in but I have Flourite in that tank and EcoComplete in the new one. I don't want to risk mixing them (for asthetic purposes) and again, trying to keep the mulm/detritus out of thier new home.

Any help, thoughts, etc. will be appreciated.

Thanks again,

- Michael.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hi Michael,

What I did with my CRS and RCS on different occations is the following. I first added some of the current/cycled water and plants from the old tank to the new tank and added about equal amount of new treated water. I usually move the filter over to the new tank at this point.

At the time of the transfer I siphoned most if the remaining water from the old tank (from the top if you want to keep the mulm/detritus out). When there is just a few inches of water in the old tank it is now time to use the brine shrimp net to transfer the shrimp in groups/individually.

You can bring the water level up to near full in the new tank before of after adding the shrimp by adding more newly treated water.

Best wishes with your new tank. Post some pictures when you have a time!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Michael, if you are patient and have the time, you can use a larger net or even a container of some type and place a piece of food/wafer in it and wait for the shrimp to collect wiithin. When good amount is present in net/container, just lift them out and transfer to other tank. Repeat, until you get most of them, then net the rest out.

As far siphoning them out, sure you could. Others have done this with no harm, but will you have enough water to get all of them?

Good luck with the move. I'm sure they will love their new digs! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts