The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning!! I have been collecting plants for my new 3 gallon Pico. Currently they are in my 20g. Now that I am ready to set up the new tank is there anything I can do to the plants to make sure I don't transfer any algae spores. The big tank has been battling algae for a while. There is none that I can see on the new plants but I don't want to transfer the problem. I heard something about a "bleach wash" but don't really know the process. Any ideas???

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Mix 1 cup bleach with 20 cups water. Then place your plants in. Delicate plants can soak for a 1-2 minutes. 3-4 minutes is considered best. But if you want to keep algae away you're going to have to take a few steps:

Locate the other tank as far away from the infected tank as possible, don't sure equipment like nets and don't transfer water between the tanks. That's about it....What kind of algae is it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!! The algae looks like BBA. I have high light in this tank and am in the process of setting up a paintball CO2 system. I am working on getting rid of it.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
well a little advice you will hear from multiple people.. LOW LIGHT IS BETTER. by better i mean easier

light drives the nutrient demand of the plant.. more light means more fertilizer and more c02.. if u have high light. u are going to go through paintball tanks like crazy.. i've been there. i have a 5 lb c02 cylinder now. and i've finally lasted more than am on the. first month i had it. it lasted 31 days with high light.. DONT go this route unless u have the time to put into it

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks HD! I think one of my mail problems is that I have been traveling with my job since January and only able to go home every 3 weeks. My husband and daughter have been feeding the fish (probably too much) but they are not so good at all the dosing and such. My travels are done after this week and I hope to get back on a regular maintenance schedule. I am still learning all this CO2 stuff and welcome any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Paintball tanks are okay. I went through only 1 every 3 months. But it was a pain to refill after the first two times since the store is so far away. My 10 pound tank should last me a few years (past the hydrotest date lol) on my 18 gallon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.