The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a xp2 I just fixed from my cichlid tank. I'm using it in my planted 30 gallon. Or want to. Anyways my intake and out take have black? Colored algae growth on it. That tank was low low light and don't want the algae to possibly spread to my beautiful medium light planted tank where it could potentially do damage.

Here's a pic of the parts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Have any Flourish Excel? I would mist it with some and place them in water, within a few hours or next day, they should be very white and dead; just scrape them off with a brush or something.

-Will

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Regardless of whether it's dangerous, there is no better time than when you already have equipment out of the tank to give it a proper cleaning.

Save the Excel, IMO. It's expensive. Just soak it in water with a little bleach for a few minutes. Then scrub the outside with a sponge. Use a bottle brush on the insides if you have one (if not, consider getting one). Rinse well.

Plastic isn't porous, so it doesn't retain much bleach. Adding a little dechlorinator to your tank before installation will quickly mop up any remaining trace.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. Def bleached and scrubbed. My second question. I have an xp2 like i said befor. But it has a carbon bag it is 6 months old but should I leave the carbon or remove it? I do dose flourish excel and potassium sulfate. I have heard that carbon removes some nutrients I this true? How bad is it?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
It may or may not remove nutrients when new. Probably nothing to worry about.

But at six months old, it doesn't remove anything at all. :) If you leave it in, it just provides an extra place for biofilter bacteria to grow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.